Butternut Squashes starting to rot at the neck in storage

• 5 Replies

Kirpi

I had a good harvest of BNS, skins firm and harvested when the vine died back so I am sure they were well matured and weather hardened before storing. they have been stored in the unheated garage and there have been no frosts locally.

They are starting to rot at the stalk so I wonder of I should have stored them in the house in a cool dry room?

It looks like we are going to be having BNS soups, roasts, chips, breads and cakes to make good use - and freezing as well of course.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Butternut Squashes starting to rot at the neck in storage
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 16:49 »
Although if also partly depends on variety, I think you get the longest storage in cool dry conditions - even outbuildings in good condition tend to be pretty damp through the winter months.

Enjoy your squash-fest!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 17:23 »
I've got my butternut stored indoors and unfortunately getting a lot of neck rot too.  It may be due to a cool wet late summer so squashes took on more water just before harvesting.  Some of my bigger winter squashes are not so clever either but the smaller ones with denser flesh are storing well.

Totty

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 18:15 »
Had a bit of rot on some last year. Have left the stalks a good 3-5 inches long this year and as of yet not had one rot off.

Totty

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 19:13 »
Butternut squash storage problems were recently discussed at length on this thread:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=111529.0
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 19:10 »
I've lost a couple of my Uchiki Kuri squashes to rot too. Not on the neck though, on the main body of the squash. I've got them stored in a spare bedroom, so don't know why they'd have rotted unless it was the weather conditions before they were picked, i.e. too much water.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 29 queries.