Asparagus?

• 13 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
Asparagus?
« on: June 13, 2013, 22:11 »
I would like to have a bed for the future where and when do I buy them? Are 3 year old crowns best and should I raise the bed to increase the drainage on clay soil please?
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: Asparagus?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 22:45 »
I have just planted my first bed.  I picked up my 3 year old crowns from Kings Seeds.  I ordered about November last year and they were delivered in April.  I ordered Gijnlim.  I also picked up some white asparagus for forcing when I visited France.  The ones from Kings were really lovely fat crowns which have shot up healthy shoots.  The French ones haven't been quite as forthcoming - only sending a few shoots up  :mellow:

I actually built a large raised bed for mine and filled it with a mixture of my clay soil, sand and compost/manure.

I have allowed mine to grow this year without harvesting as is recommended.  I think next year I can harvest minimally and then the year after they should be ready for harvesting more.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

simonwatson

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 23:51 »
I remember reading about the age of crowns when setting up my bed, the older they are the less successful transplanting is. I used one year old crowns and had a 90% success rate to the start of their third year, which is about average.

If you're on clay then you definitely need to do something as they hate being waterlogged. I built a raised bed for mine.

The first year, they produced very spindly shoots, but this year they are nice and fat. Can't wait for next year when I can actually harvest them.

savbo

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 13:14 »
I also got my crowns from Kings, also Gijnlim, I thought they were 1yr but could be mistaken. Am in third season of cropping and eating loads. Grown them in a raised bed with a couple of bags of seaweed each winter...

sav

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 16:35 »
every winter i go to the beach and colect 2 buckets of seaweed and one bucket of wet sand   it works a treet

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 17:55 »
every winter i go to the beach and colect 2 buckets of seaweed and one bucket of wet sand   it works a treet

Anyone thinking of doing this, needs to read this thread first  :)
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=86170.0

The main site has an article on growing asparagus:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/grow-asparagus.php
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

chris172

Lots to do, especially digging!

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 19:51 »
Why use "Montys How to" when we have John Harrisons guides and info etc. as part of the forum site..  I much prefer to use our site here.. http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/grow-asparagus.php
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 22:42 »

I live in the place which is about the furthest from any coast in the uk.

thanks i'll look at the how to grow has any one tried planting with annual seeds like nigella

Trikidiki

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 23:09 »
Anyone thinking of doing this, needs to read this thread first 
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=86170.0

Perhaps you could update that topic with the following.

Theft Act 1968 Section 4(3):   A person who picks mushrooms growing wild on any land, or who picks flowers, fruit or foliage from a plant growing wild on any land, does not (although not in possession of the land) steal what he picks, unless he does it for reward or for sale or other commercial purpose.
For purposes of this subsection “mushroom” includes any fungus, and “plant” includes any shrub or tree.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 09:59 »
I am reluctant to amend it for the following reasons:

1. Seaweed is frequently washed up and therefore not growing live within the definition of the exception stated.
2. Seaweed is technically algae and therefore arguably not a plant within the definition.
3. Even presuming it is deemed a plant, harvesting usually takes the whole plant rather than just foliage from part of it as envisaged by the Act.
4. The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 applies to some plants which may be harvested at the same time.

This forum is not a garden law forum.  We have stated the law as outlined by other authorities and the risks of someone relying on what is expanded here, and subsequently relying on it inaccurately, runs the risks of bringing this site into litigation.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:01 by Yorkie »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 10:14 »
Back to asparagus now :)

Trikidiki

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 10:46 »
In the article you are asking people to read, Yorkie says: "You may not remove anything from land without permission of the land owner."

This information is incorrect and misleading as per the Theft Act.

Green algae is a plant, therefore is covered by the legislation.

I agree regarding the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, equally trespass laws need to be taken into account.

No one is asking you to give advice or risk litigation, as likewise you may be equally liable if I used reasonable force to stop someone from picking wild blackberries on my land when in fact they are doing so legally.

Why not give everyone ALL the facts rather than your interpretation and let them make their own decision.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 11:49 »
Laws regarding sea weed collection are complex and different to laws applicable to "land".  If you wish to use seaweed on your garden make sure you know the details of any seaweed collection in your area by contacting the landowner; whether it be the council, a private landowner like the national trust, or the crown protectorate.  You will usually get permission to collect and transport from the foreshore if it is for personal use only. Very few owners will object to small collections like this but you cannot take that for granted.

Generally there is no public right to collect seaweed from the foreshore but a number of councils may encourage collection after heavy storms to save them the trouble of collecting it for burning.

A lot of coastline is designated as SSSI and nothing may be removed at all.

This topic is now locked.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
asparagus

Started by alexroyall85 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 31, 2015, 15:45
by Kristen

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 32 queries.