Potatoes for Christmas

• 16 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Potatoes for Christmas
« on: July 15, 2011, 08:18 »
Now i know this is a tad early to be thinking about but as i've had such a dire year on the plot what with chickweed et al and the nice fat brown slugs chomping through everything, i want a 'heads-up' on how to grow spuds for Christmas dinner; variety? in a sack or in the ground?
Any tips, pointers and experience greatly appreciated please.....  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Potatoes for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 08:21 »
Why not try a forum search on "Christmas Potatoes"?

These have been much discussed before, you'll find 9 pages of hints, tips and sad tales of woe.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:30 »
Last year, Maris Piper (maincrop therefore 4 months plus to mature) in bags, useless! This year, Lady Christl (first early - the best potato in the world  ;) - 3 months to mature) are going to be grown in a special place in the ground where its warm and sheltered. I kept them back in a very dark and cool place from the seed potatoes we got for spring planting. I've just started chitting them as we'll need to get them moving earlier than you would down south. I'll let you know and probably not bother again if they're useless, although there is one more option in our garden.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:31 »

These have been much discussed before, you'll find 9 pages of hints, tips and sad tales of woe.

I did DD but in the 'search box on the right hand side it returned 'no results'. However, using the search link inbetween 'help' and 'profile' did come back with a lot of posts. Thanks and apolgies for being thick.....

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:32 »
Last year, Maris Piper (maincrop therefore 4 months plus to mature) in bags, useless! This year, Lady Christl (first early - the best potato in the world  ;) - 3 months to mature) are going to be grown in a special place in the ground where its warm and sheltered. I kept them back in a very dark and cool place from the seed potatoes we got for spring planting. I've just started chitting them as we'll need to get them moving earlier than you would down south. I'll let you know and probably not bother again if they're useless, although there is one more option in our garden.

Thanks Argyllie, so you think down here in sunny Kent that a Lady Christl is maybe the one to go for? I'm planning on doing two spud bags in a heated but light conservatory!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:35 »

I did DD but in the 'search box on the right hand side it returned 'no results'. However, using the search link inbetween 'help' and 'profile' did come back with a lot of posts. Thanks and apolgies for being thick.....

Ah! That search box will only search the thread you're viewing.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 08:38 »
Thanks Argyllie, so you think down here in sunny Kent that a Lady Christl is maybe the one to go for? I'm planning on doing two spud bags in a heated but light conservatory!!

I wouldn't like to say that rhysdad. It is my/our very favourite potato as far as we know, so that's one reason for using them. The other main reason is the shorter growing time of a first early, the theory being they'll be further developed before the weather closes in too much. We'll see. :) We might be eating them in October! ::)

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 08:42 »

I wouldn't like to say that rhysdad. It is my/our very favourite potato as far as we know, so that's one reason for using them. The other main reason is the shorter growing time of a first early, the theory being they'll be further developed before the weather closes in too much. We'll see. :) We might be eating them in October! ::)
I'm going to give it a go and having that heated conservatory i'm hoping will help. If the weather gets bad, they can come in. Either way it'll be nice eating fresh spuds, even if they are in October!

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 20:46 »
Just saw Beechgrove Garden which should be on the iplayer by tomorrow morning. One of the experts demonstrated her way to grow Christmas potatoes.

She has kept some of her Charlotte seed potatoes back from the spring, she appeared to (wasn't paying 100% attention  :blush:) soak them in water to rehydrate them and then they were getting planted in potato bags in compost. They were doing this now to allow the 10 - 12 weeks growing time before they need to be brought indoors at the end of September and get covered in fleece (but they are in Aberdeen).

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 20:48 »
I bought my seed potatoes a couple of days ago and will try and get them in this week. I am going to do them in containers so I can move them into the greenhouse later in the season. Actually I have enough to do a couple of containers and sow a row where the 1st earlies are starting to come out so I might do that. I've got Duke of York
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 09:36 »
Got to work today to find ten Orla seed potatoes in a box waiting for me. Just starting to chit a little, but as these don't need properly chitting I shall be down the allotment digging a place for them this weekend...

BILL251

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 10:10 »
 I start my  round about now   bring them into the  greenhouse later  keep  the  frost free and there  ok  for  Christmas

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 08:36 »
Just an update on my Pots. Blight got the lot. Shan't bother again.... Getting fed up with the plot now what with that and the slugs  :(  >:(  :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 09:51 »
I did say that there were a lot of sad tales of woe.

+1 now!

If it's any consolation, blight got mine a few years back. I prefer mash and roasties with my dinner at the festive time, anyway. Only tried it as I found some left over seed spuds in the shed.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 15:17 »
I planted mine in pots 10 days ago.. First time for me this year with spuds and they have done well. They are now on my roof for the last of the summer then into my greenhouse..

Looking forward to some new Christmas Spuds...
HPIM1664_rs.jpg
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

xx
New potatoes for Christmas?

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2017, 06:26
by LILLILEAF
xx
Potatoes for Christmas

Started by mosser on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 17:52
by sachkrimbo
xx
Christmas potatoes

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 04, 2017, 19:52
by DD.
xx
Christmas potatoes

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 08:26
by Broadhaven

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 35 queries.