My first loss

• 10 Replies

Curlytop

My first loss
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:08 »
Hi
I have just lost me first Hen Daisy, she was only about 9 months and my favouite Black Star. This morning she couldn't stand, she was laying all twisted on the coop floor, mouth open and initially breathing fast until she just gave up. She was always at the bottom of the pecking order and had noticed a couple of days ago that she didn't want to get off the perch during the morning rush but I thought that was because the head chook was standing in her way so I lifted her down and off she went, she has been laying fine and was going through a partical moult and now this morning she has gone.

It is so sad and I feel numb, I hope my other three will be ok.  :(

orchardlady

Re: My first loss
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 13:03 »
Hey Curlytop. :( I'm sorry to hear about you little hen. It's always sad to lose a hen and I'm afraid it doesn't get any easier as the years go by but you do become pragmatic, although I always have a small tear for the hen and make sure I tell her she was a good hen.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 13:08 »
So sorry to hear about your loss.  As Orchardlady said it's always sad and it really hasn't got any easier for me but you know you have looked after her
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 13:43 »
I had my first loss this week.   :( Poor Henrietta had been off colour a couple of days, we looked at the usual things - worms etc but couldn't see anything obvious.  The rest of the flock are fine.   :nowink:
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

lightyears

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 14:16 »
ive lost 3 since i first started keeping hens, always brings a lump to my throat, think it in a good way, your chicken had a nice but short life, much better probaly than these poor batttery hens. Chin up

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 15:21 »
A big hug to you both for your sad losses this week. We get so attached to our feathered friends, its amazing how quickly they become part of our families.
I just know that there is a chook heaven, where all our girls and boys go. They have unlimited treats, soft clouds to nest in and it doesnt matter if they dont lay eggs. If we just believe that our little ones have just gone "upstairs" to be with their friends, it makes their loss on this earth a little easier to bear.

Chin up, you never get used to losing them, but you find ways to cope.

Good Luck.

jinty1911

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 15:44 »
Am so sorry.   :(  :(
Jinty

Curlytop

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 16:31 »
Thank you for your kind words
I have just been to give the chooks their evening corn, it seemed so strange without Daisy to greet me, the others seem fine at the moment so I pray they haven'y got what Daisy had.

She did have a good life though short, spoilt rotten. Thinking of you all, with a little prayer for all the Chooks that have passed on.
xxx

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 20:02 »
I'm so sorry to hear about your hen  :(   It's only natural for you to be upset. You get very attached to them and fuss over them and show them lots of loving care so it knocks you sideways to lose one  :(

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 19:06 »
Awwww posted similar on here earlier this year!! I cried like a baby!!! So sorry for you!! It's horrid xxx

bantam novice

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 19:47 »
Sorry to hear about your loss  :(
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
Another Loss....

Started by Prod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 15:08
by ANHBUC
xx
Re loss of feathers

Started by justconnoly on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 20:18
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Loss of a Girlie

Started by ivygirls on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 15:32
by hensjs
xx
Causes of feather loss

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 22:37
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 36 queries.