Bryony - can it be eradicated ??

• 2 Replies

poultrygeist

« on: May 05, 2008, 12:22 »
Our garden has several Bryonys (Bryonia alba) clambering through whatever gets in the way and swamping the borders.

I've tried digging 2 or 3 I can get at, finding huge tubers the size of turnips which break up and leave bits in the ground which presumably root and grow next year.

Is there any way of killing them off systemically or is it a case of digging and hoeing til they fall over ?

Some are under trees and shrubs which I can't get a fork under.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 16:20 »
Byrony - English Mandrake - sounds very unpleasant but it's common over most of England, moreso to the southern areas. Don't get the juice and such on your skin as it's an irritant, the berries are poisonous.
Not sure how you'd rid yourself of this plant, but I'd try lopping off all the top growth and directly pouring on (very carefully!) some straight Roundup onto the stumps. Be very careful not to let it drip off and touch your shrubs.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 17:28 »
Thanks Trillium. Have to be careful at the mo since it's shorts and T shirt weather this week.

I'll get some roundup and give it a go. Maybe make a little crater in the top of the tuber. It really is an impressive thing but very annoying.

Rob

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 26 queries.