Using 3 year old compost

• 5 Replies

Goosegirl

Using 3 year old compost
« on: March 18, 2014, 14:23 »
I have 3 unopened large bags of been and queued compost. Will they be ok to use for seeds, potting-on etc? I can always add nutrients as needed, but will seedlings do ok in it as they don't need much nutrient?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Using 3 year old compost
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 14:30 »
I'd still put just a little feed in even for seed sowing, just in case they don't get pricked straight out.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 19:01 »
Don't often disagree with mum, but I wouldn't bother putting any extra feed in at the start.  If it's too rich it can be detrimental to the seeds.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 19:18 »
Unless the bags have been stored somewhere very wet, the only nutrient which may have been lost is nitrogen, which isn't that important for seed sowing, although it's possible it may not be as sterile as it was when fresh.
(I'd use it anyway, but then again I am a cheapskate!  :blush:)

As for using it for potting on or growing, I remain dubious about how much nutrient content there is in MP composts these days, so I add some general purpose fertiliser to be on the safe side.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 07:41 »
The trouble with old bags (?), is that they settle into a gluey lump, and are full of condensation.

If you can open them and spread them around a bit, you may be able to achieve some sort of lighter compost, but after this time, they have decomposed even more, so don't expect miracles!

I think I'd use them half-and-half with garden soil in big pots for tomatoes in the green house if that's any help!

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 12:34 »
When I open one of these big bags, I take some out to put into a big plastic waste bin under the staging in the greenhouse and is handy to sow and pot on. The rest of the bag is then light enough to be moved into the GH as well. I usually leave the bag open so air can get to it. I will give it a go anyway, but add BFB when potting on. I agree too that seeds need very little nutrients to get going.

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
clip
Next year's compost...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post October 30, 2023, 17:19
by Growster...
xx
20 year old compost!! (with pics)

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 21:21
by richy
xx
Bad year for compost making?

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 09:28
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 30 queries.