Mould

• 10 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Mould
« on: January 02, 2011, 16:42 »
Hi

I've noticed that I've got quite a lot of mould on the roof of my coop and I'm not sure what to do.  Could this harm my chickens?  As anyone got any advice?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Mould
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 16:51 »
what is the roof made of?
Staffies are softer than you think.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 18:22 »
oh, I found this yesterday too.  Just on the top edge of the coop underneath the removable roof. It is on wood joy.  Is it bad then?  :)
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 18:28 »
I would give it a scrub off then a dousing with dilute bleach, dettol or poultry shield to kill off the mould spores and prevent possible breathing problems.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 18:28 »
it sounds like the wood needs treating, the mould spores will not be very good for the chickens so make sure you have adequate ventilation and keep it clear of mould as much as possible as now is the wrong time of year to get the coup dry .

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 18:31 »
okay, will do that first thing tomorrow  :) thanks :)

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 20:41 »
If you're getting mould, then you have a condensation problem (not surprising given the recent changes in temperatures) and you need to look at better ventilation. Can be difficult to do and avoid draughts, but essential.

gibbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 21:01 »
Hi everyone!

Im glad someone else has noticed the mold.  I noticed it in my nest boxes, on the walls.  The rest of the hen house is ok.  I have never noticed this mold before.  Must be the weather.  Im going to give it a clean then add some ventilation holes in the walls of the nest boxes.  I dont realy want to wash it of with too much water as it just wont dry in this weather. Has anyone else got any more ideas for cleaning?

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 08:18 »
Hi

I'm glad other people have noticed mould too, I thought it may be due to me not cleaning the coop correctly.  I'll be straight out this morning to clean it off.  I recently put a bit of a shelter over the ventilation holes on one side of the coop to try ans stop some of the draft.  It doesn't stop the air flow but do you think it could be this that has caused it?

Beth   

gibbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 18:33 »
Well i cleaned the mold of today with a dilute bleach wash on a well rung out cloth.  To be honest im not sure if any more ventilation would have made a difference.  I think it may be a weather thing.  I have not noticed any condensation on the walls of the house at any point through out the year.  Perhaps it is due the sudden temperature drop and rise's we have had recently.  Anyway it has not upset the girls to much as i found my first egg yesterday and my second today!!! yipee!!!

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 18:38 »
I've had a few mould spores develop very recently on the inside of the roof of the coop.  This has only occurred after the inside of the roof froze solid in these freezing temperatures!  (It reminded me of when I was little before double glazing and central heating when the house windows used to be frozen on the inside).  I think it was so cold the warm air didn't have chance to escape before freezing and then when it slowly melted it soaked into the wood, rather than drying properly and hence the mould.  I'm planning on insulating the roof a bit better for the next uber cold snap to see if this helps.
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

xx
mould on poo

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 07, 2009, 23:19
by viettaclark
xx
Mould help

Started by nickiit2003 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 02, 2012, 13:14
by Lost in France
xx
Help! Mould on feathers?

Started by Tinkers on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 14:54
by Tinkers
xx
Mould on inside of coop.

Started by infowarrior on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 19, 2012, 18:10
by ehs284

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 31 queries.