Fish.. a beginners introduction.

• 22 Replies

Lardman

Re: Fish.. a beginners introduction.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 13:11 »
See the very day I have some salmon fillet delivered from trascho this appears in the paper...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3119659/Mother-s-horror-finding-worm-like-parasite-Tesco-salmon.html

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 14:05 »
Humans can contract tapeworm infections by eating raw fish

You weren't thinking of eating it raw were you?

It doesn't seem any worse than the chance of getting worms from pork IMO

Debz

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 15:02 »
Some of the supermarkets will put your chosen piece of fish in a bag with flavoured butter and all you have to do is put it in the oven.  Cook it for the required amount of time (usually stated on the bag) and serve it up.  I find hake is a nice fish.  It's not too strong a fish.  My husband is not the best fish eater either and we had this recently and he enjoyed it.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 17:43 »
See the very day I have some salmon fillet delivered from trascho this appears in the paper...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3119659/Mother-s-horror-finding-worm-like-parasite-Tesco-salmon.html

However as most chefs know, you put your fish into the freezer for 2 days and it is perfectly safe to eat raw. ;)

If you are going to smoke salmon you need to freeze it first to kill any parasites.

A friend of mine who was a chef was often to be heard muttering about the trend for eating under cooked fish because of the worms he had seen in fish.

So......... if you want to eat fish raw or just cooked stick it in the freezer first. Otherwise cook it through.

I have Nathan Outlaws excellent fish cookery books which give you so much more than recipes. He advises freezing fish  before doing any of the raw fish dishes.

I like raw fish dishes and prefer my fish  just cooked.

Lardman

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 19:45 »
I picked up salmon and hake fillets already frozen  ;) and I have 2 more cod loins left from April.

I might do as snoop suggests and try a curry but fish strikes me as a dry curry rather than a gravy based :unsure: when I next get 5 minutes ....  ::)

Snoop

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 21:33 »
but fish strikes me as a dry curry rather than a gravy based :unsure: when I next get 5 minutes ....  ::)

I once had cod tikka masala in Rusholme (Manchester). Rusholme is curry house heaven and the cod tikka masala  I had there was fit for the gods.

If you have a tikka masala base, I bet you could knock one up in next to no time.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 08:47 »
If you have a tikka masala base, I bet you could knock one up in next to no time.

Yes you could , or with any curry base for that matter  :)  Marinate the fish in dry spices and a bit of salt, get the sauce going and warmed up, then put the fish in at the last minute and don't stir too much or it will break up.

White fish is good, but so is salmon and being an oily fish, it can take a fair bit of chilli  :)

Lardman

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 12:58 »
Too late now I've scoffed the lot having pan fried it and served with mash , peas and a splodge of ketchup.   :tongue2:

I'll try spicing the salmon - I don't think cod is a fishy fish anyway. They were really nice loins from the grey supermarket  :tongue2:

xx
Fish Pie

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 18:17
by arugula
xx
Fish pie

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post December 03, 2007, 22:50
by mashauk
xx
How to Fillet Fish

Started by Bodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

25 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 18:34
by Porffor
xx
Cheesy Fish Pie

Started by Bodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 22:04
by blackhobbescat

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 29 queries.