Malted Milk Biscuits

• 9 Replies

Hitman

Malted Milk Biscuits
« on: May 24, 2015, 19:03 »
Hello,

I hope someone can help me.  I recently bought the National Trust book on cooking biscuits and fancied having a go at the Malted Milk biscuits.  The recipe called for Malted a Milk powder and I read on another forum that you could use Horlicks instead.  Having tried this it wasn't a big success.  The so-called dough  was more like a very sticky peanut butter consistency (so I added more flour to compensate).  The result was the recipe that should have made 12 biscuits could easily have made 24.

Did I do wrong, or does anyone know if I can get "real" Malted Milk powder from any standard supermarket in the UK?

I also learnt that "all purpose flour" is plain flour - not self raising.  So I have ended up with Horlicks flavoured sponge slices!

Many thanks

Hitman

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Malted Milk Biscuits
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 20:24 »
Wise Geek:
Malted milk powder is a combination of wheat flour, non-diastatic malt flour, and powdered milk.

So Horlicks seems like a good substitute
 http://www.horlicks.co.uk/products/

Alternative recipe here
Malted Milk Biscuits

These taste very like the malted milk biscuits you can buy in packets: the ones with the bobbly bits and pictures of cows stamped on them.

110g (4oz) softened butter

50g (2oz) unrefined or golden caster sugar

225g (8oz) plain flour

Tiny pinch of salt

1 dessertspn barley malt extract

4 dessertspn semi-skimmed milk

You will need a large greased baking tray and a cookie cutter, ideally cow shaped or rectangular. Preheat oven to gas mark 6

Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the flour and salt. Mix well and add the malt extract and milk.

Mix until the mixture starts to clump together to form a dough. Knead it lightly together on a floured board.

Roll the dough to a thickness of just less than a pound coin. Cut into shapes and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 6-8 minutes until the biscuits are pale golden and just tinged brown round the edges.

Leave to cool and harden for a couple of minutes on the tray, and then transfer to a cooling rack, using a palette knife.

Once they are completely cold, store closely wrapped in foil in an airtight tin.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 21:06 »
I also learnt that "all purpose flour" is plain flour - not self raising.  So I have ended up with Horlicks flavoured sponge slices!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Thank you for posting this - am very pleased to see I'm not the only one with kitchen disasters this week.

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 22:18 »
We love malted biscuits have tryed a couple of recipes but never got the flavour , ive got a jar of malt as it happens .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 07:30 »
I have only made biscuits a few times and I didn't realise until I made them biscuit dough is usually a lot wetter and stickier. A pita, but the other thing is once made they take no time at all to cook. Even slighted over cooked biscuits is not good  :(

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 08:34 »

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Thank you for posting this - am very pleased to see I'm not the only one with kitchen disasters this week.

The only people who don't have kitchen disasters are those who never cook or who are frugal with the truth.
 ;)

chrissie B

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 16:02 »
Got the recipe but carnt see oven temp.
Chrissie b.

Hitman

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 18:25 »
Thank you for the responses.  I will try the recipe as the one I made had eggs in it and the wife is allergic to eggs.

To restore my kitchen confidence I made some flapjack today and so far it looks good - but I haven't got it out of the tin yet.

Many thanks

Hitman

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 21:22 »
Sorry just noticed the gas mark 6 ooops .
chrissie b

allotmentann

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 13:37 »
Quote from: Mrs Bee link=topic=120035.msg1413375#msg14133i75 date=1432539260

The only people who don't have kitchen disasters are those who never cook or who are frugal with the truth.

Mrs Bee you are very wise. :lol:

xx
Little finger biscuits (potato biscuits)

Started by kezlou on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post December 30, 2008, 21:36
by kezlou
xx
Biscuits and cookies

Started by celjaci on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 13:46
by Poolfield2
xx
Freezing biscuits

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 21:41
by snowdrops
xx
Biscuits and cookies

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 14:47
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 29 queries.