trouble with courgettes

• 4 Replies

Grubbypaws

trouble with courgettes
« on: May 02, 2024, 10:15 »
Is any one else having trouble germinating courgette seeds? Courgette defender F1 in good quality compost placed in a propogator at 20C. Same as every other year but dire germination rates. First sewing got 2 plants from 8 seeds. second sowing of another 8 seeds 11 days ago and so far none have germinated  :( I have grown courgettes using same variety and technique for years and never had a problem. I have changed supplier to Kings Seeds but they have a good reputation so I am not sure what is the problem?

May be forced to buy some plants this year  :ohmy:

Nobbie

Re: trouble with courgettes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 13:13 »
I always chit mine in margarine tubs in the hot press so you know if they’re viable in a couple of days, it also eliminates any chance of dodgy compost causing rotting. With the move to peat free there seems to be a lot of pretty rough stuff around. Old yellow seed only got 1 from 4, Lidl round ones almost 100%, T&M climbing ones 2 from 3. Plenty of time to sow more.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 17:38 »
Last year I really struggled but that turned out to be it being a bit too cold of them.

This year I've kept them warm and pretty much 100% germination for squash and courgette. I chit them on kitchen paper and then pot up.

As said already plenty of time to sow more.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 07:36 »
I find they don't do well just sown into compost & put on a heated tray. I don't think the actual compost gets hot enough for them done like that.
I put them on a big wad of folded kitchen roll, very damp, slide it into a freezer bag, fasten the top of the bag to keep moisture in & then lay it directly on my heated tray.
They make roots in just 3 or 4 days. When the root is about an inch long I transfer to compost & they grow away well.
Hope that helps.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 16:55 »
Sounds good coldandwindy I’m going to try this as a back up to the seeds I’ve put in pots in a propagator. Cheers HH
Keep digging

xx
Pea trouble

Started by Jake on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 16:04
by Jake
xx
Cucumbers in trouble!

Started by BabyStar on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 12:32
by BabyStar
xx
rhubarb trouble ?

Started by spud1 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 20:59
by spud1
xx
I am having trouble with my basil

Started by jogreen68 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 07:48
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 37 queries.