Feather pecking - Princess Laya's miserable

• 2 Replies

susan - happy hens

Feather pecking - Princess Laya's miserable
« on: December 17, 2009, 23:59 »
Hi hen huggers x After Hen Solo died we got 2 more hens - Blanche and Mabel.  From day 1 Blanche chased Laya and started pecking her bottom feathers.  Laya was going fast into moult which didn't help.  I spent many hours watching the girls and turned into the chicken whisperer when Blanche went to peck Laya.  I bought the Nitex anti pecking spray after seeing blood on Laya's bottom and much to her displeasure sprayed her.  Blanche still tried pecking her so I sprayed Laya 3 days later as recommended.  I had noticed Laya "crouch walking " and  "sideways" walking this last week.  Last week I kept Blanche in the run and let Mabel and Laya out into the garden. Laya is miserable -  the funny walking, not eating very well, drawing her head down and leaning over, staying under the shrubs out of Blanche's way, and trying to preen the yucky stuff off herself. poor thing.  At night I put Mabel between them and she pecks Laya too! So sorry this is so long, I thought it better to give all the details. Where can I get beak bits in a hurry!Any suggestions welcome. Thanks. Susan x 

susan - happy hens

Re: Feather pecking - Princess Laya's miserable
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 13:14 »
Hi, I followed the link on Aunt Sally's useful stickies about feather pecking and have ordered 2 beak bits from the Wernlas Collection.  They only cost 10p each - so 2 1st class stamps.   The girls was really helpful and is putting them in the post today. What a relief and again this site comes to the rescue.  Thanks muchly! x Susan

Can anyone tell me how to get the wee faces on to my posting - I still havn't worked it out. Thanks.

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Feather pecking - Princess Laya's miserable
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 14:24 »
Just click on the face you want to see and it automatically gets put where the cursor is.  Though you won't see it until you have posted the message.  ;)
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
Hen Solo and Princess Laya

Started by susan - happy hens on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 22:41
by susan - happy hens
xx
feather pecking

Started by robinson on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 09:11
by chickenlady
xx
Feather Pecking Again!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 22:07
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Feather Pecking

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 18:04
by woodburner

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 35 queries.