electric window sill propagator

• 13 Replies

joyce c

electric window sill propagator
« on: December 28, 2009, 17:27 »
I received a 7 cell electric window sill propagator from Santa.  Its not thermostatically controlled.  Can anyone give me any advice on what and how to sow.  Can I allow my husband 2 compartments for his Kelsae Onion seeds, or would they be better off in a non heated propagator.  Sorry  this has ended up a 2 part question. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: electric window sill propagator
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 18:48 »
I have used my non thermostat propagator (same as yours with the 7 trays :) ) for everything that needs some heat! Such as toms, aubergines, cucumbers, courgettes, pumpkin plus lots of flowers the list goes on and on.
The seed pkt will have instructions for when to sow and if it suggests a propagator or 'in a warm place' then use it :)
The only things that haven't worked for me were brugmansia seeds (angel's trumpets) but they do require a very warm temp I think....or else the seeds were dud :mad:
My onions just go on the windowledge, but I'm in no hurry with those, others may use them

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 21:47 »
Who's a lucky thing - a nice present!!

I agree with mumostig - I'm not sure you need the extra heat for onions if they are sown when the seed packet says they should be.

Anything that needs extra warmth to germinate can go in the proppathingy...

Take care to remove the seedlings soon after they are up or the extra heat can cause them to become leggy very quickly. Also, I'd avoid over-watering or you could end up with "damping-off".... a type of fungal disease that causes new seedlings to collapse.

Other than that.... it is a Christmas present that will be really useful and give hours of interest. I have a single-tray version - it gets a great deal of use in early spring.  ;)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 23:30 »
I've used uncontrolled props to start Kelsaes... get them off the heat once they've germinated, they'll probably do best (if they're going into the flat outside) in an unheated GH, they don't want too much water at this time of year but they don't want to dry out either

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:46 »
I got one last Christmas  :)  I did tomatoes, peppers, chillies, cucumbers, melons etc, which all worked brilliantly, however - don't be tempted to start too early because you will need somewhere almost as warm to grow them on afterwards. My tomatoes cropped quite early but the peppers and chillies just stopped growing because it was too cold for them in the greenhouse. So this year I will wait a bit longer.
Rachael

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:50 »
I got one last Christmas  :)  I did tomatoes, peppers, chillies, cucumbers, melons etc, which all worked brilliantly, however - don't be tempted to start too early because you will need somewhere almost as warm to grow them on afterwards. My tomatoes cropped quite early but the peppers and chillies just stopped growing because it was too cold for them in the greenhouse. So this year I will wait a bit longer.

A very good tip.... starting seeds off is easy stuff but having the space and heat to grow them on an be a problem... patience. ;)

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 12:14 »
I find mine excellent at this time of year  for germinating winter lettuce etc (4-6 days). However if used in warmer conditions they can actually reduce germination by making things too hot.  Also seedlings very liable to suffer damping off if they are left covered once started.  I was advised that this was made much worse if rainwater was used and since using only tap water in a mist spray (and removing the plastic lid early on) this  problem does seem to have gone away.  They also give you the chance to experiment with more unusual or non native varieties if you wish (all part of the fun of gardening)  - good luck!
John

joyce c

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 09:23 »
A big big thank you for all your useful help and tips. Once again where would I be without this site.  Happy 2010 gardening.

mantis

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 18:16 »
Hi, I'm comparatively new to this site but have been sucessfully germinating veg and flower seeds in NON thermostatic electric propagators for many years. Simple answer is to use a 24hr timer, switching on for longer periods at night. It only takes about 1 hr on at a time to keep the right temperature. This system is far cheaper in initial purchase and running costs.
  I also note  a mention of damping off, I have found a light spraying with Cheshunt compound does the trick.
Believe nowt tha hears and only half what tha sees and tha won't go far wrong.

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 21:41 »
Cheshnut compound is just the ticket!

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 23:09 »
All useful stuff, thank you.

I use a non-thermostat propagator,. mostly with success, but I do sometimes have problems with leggy seedlings (I saw somewhere else on the forum to use white board to reflect, so I'll try that!) and I'm sure it gets too hot.  Never thought of a timer switch, so that's another thing to try...

I've learned more from these boards in the last couple of weeks than I have in years of reading books.  (Well I admit, I haven't read that many but it seemed like it  ;))
Penny
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 06:16 »
To prevent leggy seedlings, AS SOON AS, the seedings pop through, whip the lid off. Place aluminium foil behind the plants to reflect the light. This is a far better reflector than white board.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 08:26 »
Thank you DD.  I shall do that this year.  Bye bye leggy plants!
Penny  ;)

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 14:26 »
just as an addendum - as most things have been covered - the amount of heat the non-thermostatically controlled propagators throw out is down to the wattage ratings, usually they range from 12w to 22w, the bigger the propagator the more watts...

I have a couple of large propagators that are 22w - one of which I have installed a very small fan that runs off photoelectric battery - so when the sun comes out this starts up! seems to work.. I got this from Maplin electronics....
Death OR Cake ???

xx
Sowing Indoors on Window sill - Advice.

Started by UrbanG on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 13:48
by noshed
xx
Electric propagator

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 21:16
by teflon
xx
Electric propagator advice pls!

Started by hectic on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 07:44
by hectic
xx
Running out of Sill space

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 12:06
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 30 queries.