Sick chicken

• 3 Replies

friter

Sick chicken
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:59 »
I have a chicken that has stopped laying and is lethargic. It is one of three. They have a good run and "potter 'round" the garden. I feed them layers pellet and they have plenty of water.

I have had them for eight months and purchased them at "Point of Lay" from a reputable source. The chicken that is lethargic has it's feathers fluffed up (so it looks much larger than the rest) and it's poo is often clear with the odd bit of yellow/green in it.

It's eyes are clear; comb a good colour and no odour or discharges from the nose. If I could sum up how the bird up in one word it would be  MISERABLE :(

Regards to all.

Ernie

PS The other two birds are laying OK

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Sick chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 11:10 »
It could be having problems laying an egg, possibly a softie.  You could try a luke warm bath for 20 mins then gently towel dry and finish off with a cool setting on a hairdryer.  This often helps them to relax the muscles and lay the egg.  If you think it appropriate though you might be better contacting a poultry vet.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

friter

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 20:00 »
Thanks for the info. The bird has improved somewhat but still not 100%. It'll be a first for me, bathing a chicken. Mind you, It can't be much different than bathing the children. Can it?  ::) ::) ::)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 22:35 »
If you haven't wormed your hens recently it would be best to treat them with flubenvet.  A heavy worm burden can stop laying and make a hen miserable.

xx
Sick chicken

Started by Huskies on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 21:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
Sick Chicken

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 11:21
by joyfull
xx
sick chicken

Started by lucia on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 21:43
by lucia
xx
chicken being sick ???????

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 20:26
by alotment shed

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 28 queries.