Transplanting a plum and apple tree??

• 3 Replies

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
Transplanting a plum and apple tree??
« on: April 02, 2012, 18:36 »
   I've had a victoria plum and a breburn apple tree in the ground for a couple of months now and they're just starting to show new growth. My problem is that where I've planted them is an area that I now need for space for chickens so was thinking about digging them up and planting them in a different location.  Will them being in the ground for a couple of months now be such a problem?  Do young trees like these suffer much from transplant shock? I don't suppose the roots will have grown that much by now but maybe I'm wrong. They're both planted on either the smallest rootstocks or the 2nd smallest rootstocks you can get and I had thought of putting them both inside my polytunnel which is quite large and high which would eliminate having to errect some kind of fruit cage over them at a later date but do apple and plumb trees need to be outside to get stimulation from the wind & elements etc to strengthen and thicken the stalks/trunks or will they do ok in the tunnel?  Has anyone got apples or plums in a tunnel and are they doing ok in there and what kind of yeilds do you get in a tunnel compared to outdoor planting?

Cheers.

Edited to correct spelling of "plum" for search purposes
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 18:42 by DD. »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Transplanting a plum and apple tree??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 18:53 »
I suspect they need to be outdoors to maximise pollination.  There is also the trunk strength aspect to consider.

Were they bare rooted or container grown when you planted them?

If you absolutely have to move them, dig the new hole for each first and prepare it with added organic matter.  There is some evidence that a square hole is better than a round one.

Then move the trees with the biggest possible root ball that you can manage.  Water liberally on planting and for the first year.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 20:28 »
They are both self polinating and I think they both came in containers.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 20:39 »
Ideally you should move them over winter but if you must do it now, then do it as soon as you can.  The rootball is vital - make sure you don't damage more roots than you have to.

xx
Plum and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2022, 18:26
by jezza
xx
Apple and Plum tree spraying

Started by poultrygeist on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 20:03
by poultrygeist
xx
transplanting fruit tree / bush

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 21:28
by mashbintater
xx
Plum & Apple Blossom

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 07:28
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 33 queries.