Parsnips

• 30 Replies

digga666

• Experienced Member
Parsnips
« on: June 23, 2009, 00:26 »
I planted 3 raised prepared beds for my Parsnips and in each bed i lined with potting compost and then planted my seeds.

After 3 weeks i have just one showing >:(....Should i write the lot off being as they have failed to show??

Lovely warm weather....no cold and plenty of water......what did i do wrong :blink:

Waynestrout

Re: Parsnips
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 00:35 »
Don't give up yet, my parsnips took an age to come through this year. All big and strong now.

If you get desperate have a look just at just one, bet you'll find they've germinated and that the growth is just under the soil.

What I did was to pop a few into pots at home, a couple of mine didn't come through so I was able to fill gaps with these. I learnt this year then you can transplant too, so a few of the extras that i thinned out got put elsewhere in a bit of space and a realso growing strong

Have faith

W
....and the leaves turn from red to brown....

digga666

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 00:48 »
Hi Wayne thanks mate......your idea.........infact what i intended to do was to plant them inside wste pipe filled with compost then transplant them when big enough.......but well things.....you know the story :( :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:01 »
Blinking parsnips  :( The one year I managed to get a really full row my sister decided to help weed.... and then there were about 3 left!!  >:(

Siince then my sister hasn't helped (she only rarely visits the plot thankfully) and the parsnips have never risked lifting their heads above the soil.  :blink:

Am I too late to try yet again with a fresh sowing??
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:02 »
Have a look at this thread

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=38964.15

There is a variety snip that can be planted in June...not sure of the name, T&M will probably have it on their website.  I know it isnt in Wilkos because I looked yesterday
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 21:41 »
Thanks for info re late parsnippers.... I'll give it a go.  :)

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 21:45 »
I only had 3 parsnips show from 2 rows of seeds  ??? but hey ho 3 less to buy!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 22:18 »

I like your approach sloworm  :D  I have 7 parsnips from 2 rows so can empathise :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 22:18 »

On the bright side = less to weed too!!  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 22:23 »
But so much easier to aim at the individual plants with the hoe when weeding, I find  ::)

Carrie3

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 23:30 »
I only had 3 that germinated - but I can't bring myself to pull them up 'cos they look so lovely!! - I may have to sow something around them!

Lady on our site has hundreds - well maybe a couple of dozen!!  When I asked her what she had done, she had done the same as me!!  Ah well!!  ???

Carrie xx

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 23:48 »
Not meaning to brag.....(cos I haven't got a scooby what I'm doing just yet...! :)) but LOADS of my parsnip seeds sprouted!  I thinned them out at the weekend (way overdue as well - they are about 6" tall some of them!) and experimented with replanting the seedlings I had thinned - they looked so robust and healthy it seemed a shame to dump them!  Most of them look doomed but about half a dozen have perked right back up - I was amazed frankly.  Hope they continue to be as healthy for the duration! :)  Just hope I haven't got one of those "lots of foliage at the expense of root" type situations going on as I have no idea how they are supposed to look at this stage. :blink: ::)
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 13:43 »
There is a variety snip that can be planted in June...not sure of the name, T&M will probably have it on their website. 

All T&M Parsnips seem to say sowing "April to June" - which seems a bit ambitious for the regular varieties to my mind?

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/group/parsnip.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 18:03 by Kristen »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 17:55 »
Does seem ambitous for every snip Kristen

I found these (mid June) on Dobies, but havent had a furkle on other websites yet
parsnip seeds

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 18:04 »
Now I feel stupid :(

Based on your earlier "There is a variety snip that can be planted in June" I was searching for a Parsnip variety called "Snip".  Twit-or-1/2wit-or-what?!!

Mind you, I think it would be a good name :)

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips and BFB

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 15:28
by Lenny59
xx
When best to sow parsnips.

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 09:46
by DD.
xx
Parsnips

Started by Rosy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 13:21
by kentishlad

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 39 queries.