planting parsnips

• 26 Replies

debbiedoll

Re: planting parsnips
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 10:34 »
So I'm not the only one having problems with parsnips! A whole row I planted in late march and only 1 seedling came through, can you imagine the fight we're going to have over who eats it,  :D
Dangerous with a trowel!

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 13:18 »
Just let it grow really really large, then there'll be no problem.  ;)

Christine

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 13:27 »
Well I must have all the parsnips that you failed with. I use big tubs and a decent compost, have selected a nice sunny spot at the end of the hard standing on my allotment. Threw some in and kept watered last month. They all started brilliantly in that warm weather so did a few more and they did just fine and threw a few more the last of the big tubs about a week ago to find yesterday that a few are showing.

Mine were mostly Unwins but a few T&M as well. Hollow crown the jolly lot I believe. Second year where things have done reasonably well.

Must be the sunny spot and the good stuff in the tubs. Or beginner's luck x 2.

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 20:29 »
I sowed into Richy pots at 2/pot and nearly all have germinated in just 12 days.  Next issue is that even tho they are tiny (3 day old babies)  can I plant them out straight away as they are, complete with the pots. 
trying to be green except when blue

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 20:53 »
i think you're fine planting the pots out but i would let them grow on a little bit first. This is how i have done a lot of my carrots (I also ripped off the bottom of the pots).

johnathome

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 12:00 »
I planted mine last year at the beginning of June, i didn't decide to start veg growing till May and had to make the beds.

Anyway, i had a bumper crop right up until Christmas. I thought it might be too late but nothing ventured nothing gained ;)

Potiron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 05:03 »
 Hi all,
       The parsnip seeds sown in Richy's paper pots, are now up and running, so I may have a few smaller roots by harvest time. :lol:
Ears and Eyes open, Gob shut.

Trillium

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 05:45 »
It isn't too late to direct seed into the gaps. They won't be huge but they'll be a respectable size by fall. Just water often to get them sprouted.

CluelessCarrot

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 07:55 »
Hi all,
I sowed my very first parsnips on the 18th April. Out of all of the seeds, I only have six or seven plants  :(
I bought a different variety (White Gem) and sowed them on my birthday (2nd. June) in a different area of the garden. Well, I didn't hold out much hope for them, especially after they ended up under 3" of water with the recent deluge we had. How wrong I was! Please ignore the weeds lol
Online! On digital! And on the edge of a tantrum!

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 08:27 »
if transplanting tray grown parsnips ,i use a dibber to make a hole then drop them in and cover over ,ive not lost one yet  not many forkings either

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 08:55 »
It isn't too late to direct seed into the gaps. They won't be huge but they'll be a respectable size by fall. Just water often to get them sprouted.

Just what Ive done Trillium, I had quite a few left that obviously cant be used next year, so I thought t was worth a go and chucked them in the gaps.  Id laugh if they germinated with no problems after all the faffing about with pots and transplanting  ::)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Bombers

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 09:53 »

Just what Ive done Trillium, I had quite a few left that obviously cant be used next year, so I thought t was worth a go and chucked them in the gaps.  Id laugh if they germinated with no problems after all the faffing about with pots and transplanting  ::)

I did this last year, and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. So, this year no 'faffing' at all, I just broadcast the packet of seed (End May) underneath my 'munty' frame, and most have germinated. As said, they wont be huge. But that's werks for me.  ;) :)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

xx
R u planting ur parsnips yet?

Started by annie2006 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2007, 22:20
by waddecar
xx
Planting Parsnips

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

79 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 22:22
by sunshineband
xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 13:20
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 35 queries.