new girls

• 7 Replies

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
new girls
« on: August 09, 2013, 20:58 »
Hi! Well, got my new girls today   :) they're both 20 weeks and lovely! BUT , the copper black seems to keep pecking the speckled every now & then. Is this normal ? Both from the same breeder . I can't separate them as betty our existing chooks is in the other hen house . Speckled (Dorothy ) is beginning to look a little nervous when Copper black (Martha ) is near

Thoughts please
Keep calm & talk to chickens :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: new girls
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 22:19 »
It is quite normal in new surroundings for them to establish a pecking order.  It is best to just observe and only intervene if blood is drawn.  If you don't have wound powder you can use ordinary corn flour on wounds to disguise and treat a wound.  Purple spray is good but I find corn flour covers blood better and stops bleeding quickly.  If you put a couple of feeders and drinkers in with them and they have space to escape each other that should help.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 11:11 »
Once bleeding has stopped I would still use purple spray as it is an antiseptic and should help to keep the flies off. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

jle746

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 19:00 »
I have a question.

We got 4 hens last April. They were 4 different breeds, a Light Sussex, a Bluebell, a Cuckoo Moran, and a ???. In June this year the Bluebell was taken by a fox.  We decided to get 2 more hens, as we knew it was wrong to get only one.  We got another Bluebell and a Black Rock both 21 weeks old.   However after 3 weeks the Sussex is still attacking the Black Rock and when she does the ??? joins in the attack.  Before the original Bluebell was killed the Sussex and the Bluebell were inseparable.  Now the 2 new hens stay together, could it be that the Sussex is attacking the Black Rock because it is jealous? 

Is there any way to stop the attacks?   :(   

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 19:46 »
I have a question.

We got 4 hens last April. They were 4 different breeds, a Light Sussex, a Bluebell, a Cuckoo Moran, and a ???. In June this year the Bluebell was taken by a fox.  We decided to get 2 more hens, as we knew it was wrong to get only one.  We got another Bluebell and a Black Rock both 21 weeks old.   However after 3 weeks the Sussex is still attacking the Black Rock and when she does the ??? joins in the attack.  Before the original Bluebell was killed the Sussex and the Bluebell were inseparable.  Now the 2 new hens stay together, could it be that the Sussex is attacking the Black Rock because it is jealous? 

Is there any way to stop the attacks?   :(

It is normal flock behaviour so they can establish the pecking order , just keep an eye out for any injuries.  Is the Sussex the bottom of the original flock pecking order?  It is usually that one that will try and get a step up the ladder.   ;)

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 12:20 »
Thanks 4 the advice! Thought that would be the case! I must admit chicken keeping is addic
tive! I have OCD ! Obsessive chicken disorder ! :lol:

jle746

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 14:55 »
The Sussex was the boss lady. We put her in isolation for a week, she is still attacking but not so bad.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 16:36 »
The Sussex was the boss lady. We put her in isolation for a week, she is still attacking but not so bad.

You can get a beak bit if she is inflicting damage, I have never used one but other members have.

xx
One of my girls has gone :(

Started by newchickenkeeper on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 15:07
by frenchliving
xx
My New Girls

Started by WoodyK on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 17:53
by NormandyMary
xx
Girls have given up

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 14:32
by grumpydad
xx
Ive got new girls.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 16:28
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 35 queries.