scaly foot

• 3 Replies

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
scaly foot
« on: August 17, 2013, 16:45 »
4 of my 8 ladies have scaly feet and a couple have got it quite bad on one of them you cant even see the back claw as it looks so bad weather or not she has lost the claw I don't know they have had for around 3 months now and I am treating it with a spray every 6 days like it says but I just cant seem to shift it and as im not in a financial position to be taking them all to the vets I really don't know what to

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: scaly foot
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 17:30 »
What have you been treating them with?

Once the scales are raised you have to wait until they moult before they will shed the damaged scales.  You can help a little by soaking their legs in warm water, drying and then applying Vaseline to their legs every few days.  Put plenty on and dab any excess off with kitchen roll.  This will help the scales soften a bit and makes it easier for them to fall off.

I have a bantam that had scaly leg mites and even though I treated her promptly it has damaged her rear toe on one foot.  She is not limping so it looks worse than it is.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 15:09 »
the stuff I used is total poultry solutions just for scaly legs from nettex

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 15:20 »
I have never used that so not sure how effective it is.  They can get re infected quickly so you might be better just using Vaseline/petroleum jelly which will help the condition of their legs.  Some people use vegetable oil in a jam jar to dip their legs in but this will not stay on as long as Vaseline and does tend to get on their feathers. 

xx
Scaly leg - hard growth on base of foot?

Started by Elvira on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 26, 2015, 13:14
by Elvira
xx
scaly leg?

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 21:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
Scaly leg

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2011, 17:41
by ANHBUC
xx
scaly leg

Started by henman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 11:58
by Vember

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 27 queries.