open or closed

• 24 Replies

izzy

• Experienced Member
Re: open or closed
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 15:59 »
if you feel the run and coop are secure enough leave the door open .Ours is attached to the back of the garage under a pvc lean-too with the run attached .i close up the lean-too but leave the house door open with food and water available so they can get themselves up in the morning. then we all get our sleep.When I'am up I open up the lean too into the run.

hen maiden

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 07:45 »
About mid March, 4 of my 6 started refusing to go in the house at night, preferring to roost snuggled up together on the ramp leading up to the house. I lifted them up and put them in, after a  quick cuddle, for a couple of weeks, but have now given up. I leave the door open and hope the two , both cuckoo marans, who do go inside still don't mind. The run is secure, although I do still worry a bit. I am hoping they will go in when the weather gets colder. Does anyone elses hens do this ?

Casey76

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 07:57 »
Not wanting to go into the house at night can be a sign of red mite infestation.

Try slipping a piece or white paper along the nooks and crannies of your house.  If it comes out smeared with red, you know you have a problem :(

If the hens don't have a tree to go up, I definitely wouldn't want them not in a house at night.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 08:08 »
I agree Casey, ideally I would prefer all of mine inside overnight but luckily for me I have plenty of trees and those that do roost outside are 15 feet upwards. 
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 11:38 »
Joyful!  I am sure you wait for me to type slowly and then get in with a quick reply! :tongue2:

I've often thought that.  She's a regular Annie Autry she's so quick on the draw which is why I suspect her posts are so short and sweet.

Either that or she employs her dark powers?
HF
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:39 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 11:55 »
Forgot to reply to the question!  I've done both but normal I used to shut the house but I'f I wasn't going to be around or wanted a lie in after a late night out I'd leave the pophole open and shut the attached run and leave the outer run (enclosed in an electric net) with the energiser on.  I've never lost a bird in the house or inner run or outer run protected  by the net for that matter.  The only birds I've lost in over 10 years have those who insisted on going walk about outside the net.

Now-a-days I have an auto open/ closer which shuts the house anyway so there' always at least two lines of defense.

In winter it's good from a shelter perspective to shut the house door too as Aidy says.
HF

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 12:23 »
Interesting HF, at what point did you decided it was warm enough etc not to look them up, in other words, was it just say may-sept or just warm nights?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

hillfooter

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 13:07 »
Interesting HF, at what point did you decided it was warm enough etc not to look them up, in other words, was it just say may-sept or just warm nights?

I wasn't that methodical but generally if it's very cold weather or windy I'd prefer to shut the pophole.  There's also a slight danger that leaving the pophole open they might be vulnerable to rats and stoats though I've never known it.  The auto pophole openers & closers (my design using car aerials, timers & pulleys) solves the dusk dawn problem of me being around.

Below is a photo of my standard run layout.  The small caged run on the front is for confining them when I want to catch them to examine/treat them and also it serves as a day shelter and somewhere to hang the feeder under cover. 

I prefer nets rather than fixed runs so I can move them to new ground every 6 months.  I've found the electric nets work very well for keeping the preditors out and the chx in (mostly).

HF

Dickie73

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 21:27 »
Mine are in  a coop and enclosed run and we've put a skirt around the sides and dug it in to make it as secure as we can. I go down every evening at dusk and move them out of the nest box and just pull the door to but don't lock it. That way in the morning they can let themselves out into the run - they got the hang of nudging the door open from day 1. I have done this all through winter and they seem to have coped really well. Saves me getting up at the crack of dawn!

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 17:57 »
Hi all

My girlies all survived having been left with a neighbour and the bob hole open!!

Broody
if wishes were changes.......

xx
Closed eye

Started by ness on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 21:42
by ness
xx
Closed eye

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2016, 23:40
by Sassy
xx
one eye closed

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 15:22
by beulah59
xx
One eye closed

Started by HairyBear on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 15:21
by Roll Roll

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 30 queries.