blight resistant potatoes

• 9 Replies

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« on: August 21, 2016, 09:40 »
 se athlete and mc carolus

athlete is not resistant. got blight the same time as nicola so is not a blight resistant se.the taste is ok but nothing special and the  yield was roughly 50% of the nicola yield !

carolus - grown this for the 2nd year running and no blight as yet. the taste is very good, a creamy potato that gets drier in storage towards Christmas but still tastes good.
fairly waxy and im please with it, the sarpo are far too floury for me and get powdery scab in my soil.

carolus is highly recommended, athlete is a big disapointment

hope this helps  :)

Alifink

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too
Re: blight resistant potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 13:11 »
Useful info, I was considering Athlete for next year. Will get some Carolus if I can find some, I've grown Sarpo Mira and Axona for the last two years but they are not particularly appetising.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 20:05 »
Am trying Setanta, these are supposed to be blight resistant, mine this year have been attacked by blight, so much so, that I have given up trying to control it and this crop is now relying on its own defences!

I must say that there seems to be some fightback within this variety, the leaves have been attacked so much that the leaf stem has died and dried up, from the same leaf joint a new leaf stem has grown.

So as I said they are now on their own, will let you know if there is any worthwhile crop to be had!

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 21:50 »
I have grown Athlete ,Carolus ,and Alouette this year all blight free varites and they showed no sign of blight .My other spuds Kestrel ,Peatland Squire ,Valor all when down with blight .Carolus produced the best crop with Alouette a red spud coming second ,I will grow these next year .Athlete was good when dung up as a early spud but not good if left to mature as a late .Carolus showed not much slug damage compared with the others.I dug them up this week and look forward to see how they store .I have two photos attached ,one showing the spuds before lifting the other the crop from  first two roots of Carolus
IMG_0037.jpg
IMG_0034.jpg
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:59 by bazial »
bazial

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 10:28 »
Useful info, I was considering Athlete for next year. Will get some Carolus if I can find some, I've grown Sarpo Mira and Axona for the last two years but they are not particularly appetising.

i got mine from t & m, dearer than usual but worth it. if u keep your eye on the website they have a free p&p offer every december

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 17:13 »
I have now harvested the Setanta, a very much reduced yield, probably due to the blight, many small pig potatoes but also some very useful one's as well. As regards to blight resistance the foliage I would give a score of perhaps 5 out of 10, however the tubers I would give a score of 10 out of 10, there being no blight effects whatsoever,. The tops were devastated but nothing travelled down to the tubers!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 15:43 »
I too grew Setanta and got blight on leaves but not tubers. I got a great harvest and they are superb roasted. My problem was that about half had tiny holes caused by potato wireworm . The potatoes are totally edible but I will not be able to store them.

None of my other varieties had or have had this problem. All are container grown.

Q1? Is this something that Setatnta are especially prone to

Q2? Is there anything that I can do to prevent it in the future

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 22:09 »
Have finished harvesting the last potatoes this evening!

Grew

Dunluce      Earlies

Rooster       For roasters

Pink FA        Salad

Sante           Maincrop

Have had only four tubers  of Sante affected by blight which I have burnt on a bonfire,nothing on any other varieties dug before now.

The other thing I had especially with the Sante was that I had a lot of abnormally large tubers this year, never had this problem previously, though they are fine when I cut a couple of them in half just to check them out!
STOP, and smell the roses!

Moops

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 11:24 »
Grew Sarpo Mira, Carolus and Athlete this year, all had good Late Blight resistance when it hit the plot this summer. Total wipeout with PFA and Blue Belle. I'm happy with the harvest from all three, taste is best with Athlete and Carolus. Carolus is more floury than Athlete which is more waxy with a buttery taste, earlier too.

xx
blight resistant potatoes?

Started by ianspud on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 21:14
by DD.
xx

Started by jackiestagg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 31, 2007, 14:14
by Annie
xx
Blight Resistant Potatoes

Started by trunk monkey on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 13, 2014, 08:05
by Grubbypaws
xx
Blight resistant tom seeds

Started by dig4victory on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 18:48
by pushrod

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 33 queries.