Have my leeks failed?

• 3 Replies

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
Have my leeks failed?
« on: April 05, 2009, 06:21 »
I've never had much luck with leeks. This year I thought I'd try seedtapes, so I put them in on 8th March, but nothing has happened; did I do them too early? The peas I did at the same time haven't done anything either, and I wonder if the soil was too cold and wet.

I do have more leek seeds now [Carentan]; should I start them in trays/pots instead, or wait and see if the seedtapes do anything?

SG6

Re: Have my leeks failed?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:59 »
I started mine at about the same time, early March, but mine are indoors and they are 3-4 inches high. A second batch started a week ago are just showing through and are about 1-2 inches high.

Have to say that I suspect the worst. :( :( :(

Found that they do no seem to appear at the same time so it can seem that there is a poor germination then after a week or two I find that I actually have quite a few. But after a month I would have expected some to have appeared.

Can only suggest that you make a sowing indoors and use them as a back up for what hasn't appeared.

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:08 »
Thanks - that confirms what I thought. If I've learned one thing in this my first year, it's that I rush and sow stuff way too early (I've been dancing with impatience since September) - on my second batch for a few things now. Admittedly the tapes were several years old so that may have been a contributing factor, but as the peas didn't come up either, I obviously jumped the gun.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:31 »
The cold and the age of the tapes will not have helped.

Under the GYO stickies/Useful topics & sites, you'll find how I do my leeks......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26363.0

I've only just sown my first lot of peas, so you may have been a little too early there. I think you're finding out that one of the most important factors in gardening is patience! :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:34 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Tried but failed.

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 21:12
by tode
xx
Failed asparagus?

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 19:24
by JayG
xx
When have seeds failed?

Started by Jome on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 19:36
by iggyboy60
xx
pumkins failed

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2008, 11:10
by Snap Dragon

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 29 queries.