Beefsteak Tomatoes

• 10 Replies

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
Beefsteak Tomatoes
« on: August 17, 2021, 10:40 »
A disappointing year with my Beefsteak tomatoes. My usual being the Marmande variety. OK its been a disappointing year with tomatoes in general. So, next year time to try another Beefsteak variety. So many to choose one, maybe two? Anybody please have a favourite of which I should try? Thanks.

jambop

Re: Beefsteak Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 12:47 »

I would not be too hard on your Marmande's this year if it is anything like wat we have had it has been terrible I know lots of people who have no tomatoes at all this year because of the weather and blight.
Coeur de bouffe are excellent a good shape not too many seeds and very sweet. I have been growing beefmaster which are also very good but they do have a lot of wrinkles .

lettice

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 08:57 »
That is odd.
My Marmande outside in pots that I have grown for many many years are growing as well as they always do.
For me its a very reliable beefsteak, that has never failed and have loads of big juicy ones, will start harvesting plenty of them this weekend going forward.

All my outdoor San Marzano have done as well as ever too. They are always ready to start harvesting heavily at the same time as my Marmande.
My greenhouse tomatoes of a number of varieties have been producing very well for a month now and plenty of good healthy leaf growth. Not had any problems, but rarely do with my tried and trusted varieties.
Tigrella, Amateur, Golden Sunrise and Nectar Rose.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 10:16 »
A disappointing year with my Beefsteak tomatoes. My usual being the Marmande variety. OK its been a disappointing year with tomatoes in general. So, next year time to try another Beefsteak variety. So many to choose one, maybe two? Anybody please have a favourite of which I should try? Thanks.

To grow outside or under cover?  I think all have our favourites, but it depends on where you want to grow them.

Also what are you wanting them for - sauce or eating fresh?  I grow a couple of old heirloom ones that are glorious to eat raw or as a tomato salad, but probably not productive enough if you have designs on lots of sauce making.  If you want raw eating toms I am happy to post seeds to you.  I grow Black Sea Man and Chocolate Cherokee every year if you are interested in either of those, but they are not widely available hence my seed saving  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 10:17 by New shoot »

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 14:08 »

To grow outside or under cover?  I think all have our favourites, but it depends on where you want to grow them.

Also what are you wanting them for - sauce or eating fresh?  I grow a couple of old heirloom ones that are glorious to eat raw or as a tomato salad, but probably not productive enough if you have designs on lots of sauce making.  If you want raw eating toms I am happy to post seeds to you.  I grow Black Sea Man and Chocolate Cherokee every year if you are interested in either of those, but they are not widely available hence my seed saving  :)
The tomatoes are grown in both a greenhouse and a poly-house. So, "inside". We tend to use our tomatoes generally for salads. But, from very fond memories of Greek holidays, stuffed tomatoes are a must. And there is where this year our Marmande has failed. No, size!!!!!

Your offer of few seeds of both Black Sea Man and Chocolate Cherokee is inviting. Thank you. Please inform me of what and how you want from me regards address details etc. I've just checked both out via Gxxxgle and certainly different and worth a go. Thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 16:12 »
Just send me a pm with your address and I’ll pop a few in the post for you.  I have a single 2nd hand stamp lurking about from posting festive cards some months back, so that will be a good use of that  :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 17:56 »
Brandywine is always our favourite beefsteak tom'. :)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 19:19 »
I grow a few different varieties of beefsteak and they've all been a slow this year. Most also look as though yields will be disappointing - Gigantomo and Southern Nights being exceptions.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 07:55 »
We grow Big Daddy, good taste, texture and yield and seem less prone to cat facing.

lettice

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 09:07 »
I grew some brandywine and Chocolate/purple Cherokee some years back with some seeds from one of the seed sharing offerings on here.
Found the Cherokee a horrid colour and a bit off putting.
Taste wise all found them odd, quite a sharp acid after taste. Maybe that is a family personal taste.
But only grew a couple of plants that did produce ok. If I remember about five toms per plant about 3-4 inches per tomato width.

For brandywine found they grew very big, tomato width about 4-5 inches. Only had about five tomatoes per plant.
So would need to grow more if you like plenty.
They needed some pretty strong stakes and more than usual ties to keep them upright.
They were tasty and much the same as my Marmande, but a lot bigger.

Do find my regular Marmande crop better. Although big, tomato width 3-3.5 inches, they are not as big as Brandywine.
Normally get about 8-10 per plant and after picking about first five that have ripened, another five then will set.
This year have ten plants.  Grow one plant in a 9 inch pot outside and use a string from under the root up to a height of six feet above on a bamboo cane rail.
They are a lovely tasting tomato, I mostly slice off the top, remove and mix the contents with a little basil, contents back in, top back on and roast in oven. Just delicious.

I have picked a few this morning along with some San Marzano (that I use for my yearly frozen tomato paste) as a size comparison.

Always fun to try many varieties, one thing that sharing seed on here has been fun with over the years.
2021-08-27 08.42.25.jpg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 10:35 »
I grew Better Boy this year, it is an indeterminate grower, but can be managed with pruning. It is a meaty tomato, great flavor, and a good producer.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Beefsteak Tomatoes

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 15:31
by AndyRVTR
xx
Best tasting Beefsteak tomatoes

Started by realfood on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 11:33
by LilacSandy
xx
Growing beefsteak tomatoes in pots

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2022, 18:14
by Growster...
xx
Help! My beefsteak Toms ......

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 08:33
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 47 queries.