I want to Keep chickens but...

• 11 Replies

Mr Gyles

« on: November 06, 2008, 22:17 »
Hi there,

I really want to keep chickens on my allotment plot. but I'm told my local parish council won't allow it.

I really think that is really 'anti sulf-sufficent' and surely cannot be right?

Has anyone got any experience with this problem or anyone got anykind of advice for me to persue my quest for keeping chickens?

Thanks..

raeburg

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 22:28 »
Check out with them why they won't allow livestock.  I'm afraid some do and some don't, it might be worth formally requesting it from the parish council.  There may be a covenant on the land restricting it's useage.  Welcome to the mad, sorry hen house!

Mr Gyles

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 23:23 »
Thanks I think I will do that.

Its on my contract i signed I am not allowed to have livestock but asking for a reason and asking them if there's anything i can do to change that wouldn't hurt..

I was wondering if there was somekind of old allotment act or law which I can throw at them?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 23:38 »
I think that land owners can impose any sort of covenant that they like, although it's likely that this may have historical reasons as to why, eg it could be that they felt that from previous allotment holders they may have had an increase in rats which could have been directly attributed to the keeping of hens.  maybe they're just being pedantic.

the thing is you won't know until you ask and once you know the reason you can challenge it!

there's always light at the end of the tunnel!

Mr Gyles

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 00:15 »
I'll keep the forum updated with what my council says about why I cannot keep chickens. Probably vermin or neighbouring housing opposition or something?

I was told way back in the '70's they had chickens on the allotment then so I dunno...

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 00:27 »
I would not accept what they say as they may have just made it up.  Have a look at the byelaws,  yourself to satisfy yourself that it's actually writ large. I don't just mean the tenancy agreement as they can write any old garbage on those.  Ours says we can't grow "raspberry trees"  :roll:

Mr Gyles

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 00:39 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
 Have a look at the byelaws, :

Where do I look or ask to see old bylaws?

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 10:17 »
If it is a bye law or even just the rules of the allotment it may be worth trying to get it put on the parish council agenda. There is a way of doing this if so many electors petition the council etc. Your council clerk should be able to help and know where to find this information out. If they are not cooperative you could try approaching your local councils association or look up the Local Government Act - I am not sure whether this piece of legislation is in this particular act.

If you are able to get it onto the agenda for discussion I would also recommend that you go to the meeting and at least you would know what was discussed. They may or may not allow you to speak. You can then decide who you wish to vote for at the next elections!! Or stand yourself :shock:  :shock:

I seem to be rather  full of myself this morning with the old advice :roll:  :roll:  :roll:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 12:38 »
Our tenancy agreement says we can't keep chooks but apparently the proper rules are kept in the town hall and my mate read through them, cover to cover, specifically looking for the no-chook rule. She couldn't find it so the council would be in some difficulty if anyone specifically asked for permission to keep them.  You can go to your parish council at any time to ask these sorts of questions, you don't have to wait for meetings  :D

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 09:11 »
You're quite right compostqueen. I was not very clear in the email. I meant if it is a bye-law, policy whatever, the Council can be approached to change the laws etc  in the way I described.

woodburner

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 18:17 »
I can't be 100% sure as it was years ago that I asked, but I think it's to do with liability/insurance that we're not alowed to keep livestock here. In a nutshell, fear of being sued.
Personally I'm not bothered as security is low on the lotties, my chooks are worth £20+ each and I have a large enough garden, but I do symapthise with those who want to but aren't allowed to keep chooks. :(
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Mr Gyles

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 20:15 »
My allotment is quite secure. although like everything the most determined thief can get into anywhere.

I cannot help feeling it probably is because of fear of getting sued for some reason or another.

Thats the councils usual excuse.

I'm going to go into my local parish hall later in the week and do some question asking  :)

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
chickens

Started by danthefarmer on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 21:25
by babe

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 35 queries.