P1020580.JPG
'Be Good'

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: is this comfrey?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 19:28 »
Yep.

99.99% sure

Whether it is the sterile type or not I couldn't say. Either way its great added to compost or lined in a spud trench - or check out cadalot's comfrey pipe. I'm taking rootings and planting all round the fence lines on my plot. If its not the sterile Bokings type then you have to be wary of it spreading everywhere. I'd wager it was Bocking 14 planted there by some allotmenteer (not that I'd do anything like that) - but if there is a lot of it there then it may be a fertile variety and as I said that could be difficult to keep in hand.

Pip pip,
Balders

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 20:33 »
Doesn't the colour of the flowers tell you which it is? Bocking 14 is bluey/purple. It should start flowering soon.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 08:59 »
That's great stuff!  I have a comfrey pipe. Great job, but some fool mowed all me comfrey  :mad:  We thought it was weeds!   :nowink:  Oh well I managed to save the mowings  :wub: 

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 16:59 »
 They were about to flower which is why I cut them back and I've filled my pipe and also two daleks have had a layer of comfrey in them. all the low level leafs are there and they will also make it into the daleks after I have added a layer of brown

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 18:27 »
I picked 2 large bags of wild comfrey yesterday and put it through the shredder and then into a makeshift pipe, the black stuff is already starting, mind it was like sludge when it went in, I also have a nettle brew going with a fish tank bubbler, I have also started feeding my crops with dilute pee, 5 to 1, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 13:58 »
Doesn't the colour of the flowers tell you which it is? Bocking 14 is bluey/purple. It should start flowering soon.

Well, take a look here:
https://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=1856

Symphytum officinale var patens - a purple flowered type that will seed  :tongue2:

Pip pip,
Balders

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 14:06 »
Ah. *rubs chin thoughtfully & ponders large gaps in knowledge*

green_lolly

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 19:22 »
I bought some root cuttings of Bocking 14 off the internet a couple of years ago but it's managed to seed itself. I lined a tomato trench with leaves last year and got a rogue comfrey plant this spring.

It's flowers are much pinker than the plant in these pics.
diary http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=118734.0

photos on Instagram - user name also green_lolly

RubyR3d

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 17:43 »
I picked 2 large bags of wild comfrey yesterday and put it through the shredder and then into a makeshift pipe, the black stuff is already starting, mind it was like sludge when it went in, I also have a nettle brew going with a fish tank bubbler, I have also started feeding my crops with dilute pee, 5 to 1, Dave
. Picking wild flowers is illegal. Bees adore comfrey and it should have been left. Its easy enough to grow yourself. Please for wildlifes sake leave flowers and plants.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 20:07 »
I bought some root cuttings of Bocking 14 off the internet a couple of years ago but it's managed to seed itself.
Bocking 14 was essentially developed because it was very useful but also wouldn't seed. If it self seeded then it wasn't Bocking 14.
There are other types around that seed.... but by definition really Bocking 14 won't seed. If it does, it ain't. (if you see what I mean)

Pip pip,
Balders

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 11:30 »
Picking wild flowers is illegal. Bees adore comfrey and it should have been left. Its easy enough to grow yourself. Please for wildlifes sake leave flowers and plants.
I know where you are coming from but there is so much that I could fill a builders ton bag and not make a dent in what is there. Take a bit/leave a bit for nature, that's one of the most important parts of foraging, cheers Dave

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 23:29 »
I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread but can I also ask...
is this comfrey?
rsz_20150520_190638.jpg
rsz_20150520_190653.jpg

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 09:27 »
I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread but can I also ask...
is this comfrey?

Sure looks like it.   ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

Comfr3y

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 19:30 »
Picking wild flowers is illegal

Is it illegal to pick common wildflowers in the countryside?
http://www.plantlife.org.uk/about_us/faq/is_it_illegal_to_pick_common_wildflowers_in_the_countryside

It is not normally an offence to pick the 'Four Fs' – fruit, foliage, fungi or flowers – if the plants are growing wild and it is for your personal use and not for sale. Many rare or endangered plants – such as adder's tongue and lady's slipper orchid - are protected under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act, so picking these is against the law (although, being rare and endangered, you're unlikely to happen across them by accident!)

Picking a flower is one thing. Uprooting it entirely is another. The law strictly prohibits removing a plant from the wild and you could risk arrest for doing so.

Make sure also that the flowers you are picking are in a wild location and not on council or otherwise protected land. Any flowers growing in, for example, council parks, town or village displays, roundabouts or roadside verges are off limits as are those in nature reserves and community gardens.

xx
Comfrey

Started by Tinbasher on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 09:58
by Beejay
xx
Comfrey

Started by Hillbillypop on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 22:13
by viettaclark
xx
Comfrey - Bocking 14

Started by amc on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2007, 10:37
by amc
xx
Wild Comfrey

Started by christokes87 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 21:50
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 33 queries.