Comfrey - Bocking 14

• 3 Replies

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
Comfrey - Bocking 14
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:08 »
Last July I bought some comfrey roof cuttings (bocking 14 the sterlie one that doesn't self seed) from http://www.ragmans.co.uk/ (they don't have it listed at the mo). Some places advertise cutting/ plants at silly prices.  They were about 1-2" long so being a cheapskate I cut most of them in half and potted them up. They didn't do very wll to be honest - probably cos some of the roots were v. small and so were the pots.

I noticed they had stared to sprout again in the last 2-3 weeks so I weeded and re-potted them. Some have a v.good root structure, some are only just starting to develop and some had plain rotted. All being well the 60 or so plants will go up the allotment with in a month or so when the plants are a bit more established.

Does anyone have any tips to get the cuttings more established prior to transfer? Do they prefer light/ shade? What is the best final spacing? Would feeding give a kick start etc. Any tips apreciated.

I understand that comfrey is v. evasive so I think when/if they do grow more they'll really take off but thats what I want! I've a large space at the allotment put aside.

amc

WG.

Comfrey - Bocking 14
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 11:17 »
I don't consider comfrey to be invasive at all - people who try to dig it up or rotovate it probably think so.

Spacing I use is 2ft each way.   Prefers sun. tolerates light shade.  Bring them on in a container if you want to.  5l ice cream containers work fine.  3l milk cartons too

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
Comfrey - Bocking 14
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 13:32 »
Thanks whisky_golf, they only get a bit of sun early morning - i'll move into full sun and I'll try your spacing suggestion.
I'm looking to increase the numbers of plants but I'll concentrate on getting these established first.
amc

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
Comfrey - Bocking 14
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 10:37 »
just realised there is a very good guide to comfrey on the main site...doh!

clip
is this comfrey?

Started by Hadakare on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post May 27, 2015, 21:00
by Dai
xx
Comfrey

Started by Hillbillypop on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 22:13
by viettaclark
xx
Comfrey

Started by Tinbasher on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 09:58
by Beejay
xx
Comfrey Planrs

Started by wbmkk on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2019, 07:44
by snow white

Page created in 1.116 seconds with 37 queries.