Run advice please

• 5 Replies

sessyplum

• www.doula-birth.co.uk
Run advice please
« on: April 21, 2009, 22:29 »
Hi everyone,
Im new to this forum and hen keeping so sorry if this has been answered before. I just wondered if I need to put anything down on the floor of my run? At the moment Its just on lawn which is not suprisingly lawn anymore. I have a big branch in there that they seem to like perching on etc and to be honest they spend most of the day pecking around in my garden. I just wondered should I put some bark chippings down or something and how can I make their run a bit more interesting for them for the few hours a day they are in there?
Any advice would be much appreciated
Sarah :)

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: Run advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 23:11 »
the ground sounds fine.
they like different textures and layers, so maybe drop a slab or two, or some piles of bricks?
ours have a table and a tyre as well as bricks and old concrete ballustrades (they stand on them) and some big chunks of wood.
and a ladder
and a shelf (actually, they have two shelves - so they have three layers above the ground because the table and the shelves are all at different heights) they like to jump (or fly) from one to another.
Today, I was claening up some poo on the table and Rita decided she wanted to jump from the shelf onto the table , but she couldn't get past me - no warning - she just flew down and scratched my face to bits! it really hurt!  :(
they also have some branches high up screwed into the wall to make a perch.

Rubellite

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:13 »
I have a row of bricks outside the shed door which were my stepping stones when we had a mudbath through the winter. I sit in the doorway and lift the bricks one by one for the girls who love to eat the worms that are near to the surface beneath the bricks :lol:
What great timewasters they are!!
 :)

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 14:14 »
Adreadon, your run sounds like a pleasure dome for chickens! Lucky girls!
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 20:28 »
we have a thick layer of bark chippings down, so they can scratch for their treats, corn etc in the afternoon, they also dig deep holes to sunbathe in, when they have gone to bed it is easy to use the hose to wash away the runny poos

martyn

sessyplum

• www.doula-birth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 21:20 »
Thank you all very much for your advice..  :D what a lot of lucky chickens you all have. Heart breaking to think about the zillions more who arn't so lucky.  :( Ive always been a free range organic girl but it brings it home even more when you get some hens for yourself and you find out for real what amazing little personalitys they have. I love them to bits! and they give me yummy eggs too.  :D

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
need some advice

Started by chubbsta on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 03, 2012, 16:07
by grinling
xx
Set up advice please :-)

Started by Bluebell on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 31, 2007, 18:47
by Bluebell
xx
Hen not well, advice please

Started by jamima on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 07:06
by joyfull

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 32 queries.