Marmalade question

• 3 Replies

abw

Marmalade question
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:24 »
I regularly attempt to make marmalade in the Seville orange season but always end up with something with the consistency of golden syrup rather than proper set marmalade.  Previously I blamed the pan because it had a thin base and I thought it got too hot too quickly.   This year I have a good heavy bottomed pan and I followed the recipe to the letter.  I squeezed as much of the pectin as I could out of the muslin bag, dissolved the sugar carefully,  reduced the liquid by half and carefully checked the setting point with a jam thermometer (105 degrees).   But it's still the same syrupy stuff I always end up with.  Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?  Grateful for any advice!

abw

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
Re: Marmalade question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:45 »
I still suspect it's lack of pectin. What pectin there is in citrus fruit is contained in the white pith and pips and you'll need to test before adding the sugar. This article may be of help http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment_foods/jams-preserve/making-marmalade.php. If you still have problems with getting a good clot after adding lemons, you can always add more pectin in the form of a couple of sachets.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 13:08 by Val H »
Val
Recipes Galore!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 17:15 »
Not sure - the same happened with mine this year (last year's was fine texture wise but tasted sour)

Try using the sugar with pectin added.

It might just be because you've boile it too long - you have to do a rapid boil to the temp cos marmalade refuses to set if you do it too long.
105 seems a little high, too - my thermometer says 103 for jam.

The main reason i posted here though, was because I used my runny marmalade on the pancakes last night instead of lemon and sugar.  worked beautifully!   :tongue2:

abw

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:37 »
Thanks to you both for help.  I've got some oranges left so I'll have another go using your advice. 

xx
Marmalade Question

Started by cheshirecheese on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post January 06, 2014, 11:31
by chrissie B
smiley
marmalade

Started by Neil Doncaster on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 20:19
by Neil Doncaster
xx
Too much marmalade not enough jar!

Started by Remy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 18:40
by mumofstig
xx
marmalade

Started by strangerachael on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post June 13, 2017, 14:27
by Scribbler

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 40 queries.