Blood in nest box!

• 5 Replies

Sassy

Blood in nest box!
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:56 »
Monday am when I went to let my trio out I found them all in the nest box - just - a bit small for 3!! Cockerel has never shown interest in the nest box previously - why should he?

I noticed that there were blood spatters in the sleeping area and they were reluctant to move even the cockerel who is not tame. Pushed them all away to find 2 eggs, one covered in blood, and a small pool of blood - they were pecking at, and presumably eating this. I examined all of them but could find no wounds and particularly checked the vents on the hens which were a nice healthy pink with no signs of blood. All 3 birds had blood spatters on them. Full clean necessary in a blizzard!!

Does anyone have any idea what may have causesd this, I assume it may be to do with the laying of an egg. One hen only started to lay about 2 weeks ago. All eggs have been consistent sizes and shell quality.

One egg Tuesday and they all seem normal. Eating well etc.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Shell Less

Re: Blood in nest box!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:54 »
just a thought, could a mouse hav got into the coop, i know my girls would kill one and that would be rather messy.  If all the irls look fine and are eating ok, then just keep an eye on them.  I'm sure someone will be alone soon with a better reason for the blood than me!! lol

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:57 »
Hi Sassy,

If there is a large quantity of blood largely in one area-in the nest box it is likely that it is to do with laying. It could be that the laying itself had caused a slight heamorrhage (bleed) caused by a tear internally, which eventually sorted itself out.
The unusual thing is the "spatters" perhaps the other chickens have been pecking.
Keep an eye on her -and watch out for any evidence of vent protruding or straining.
Keep her on a strict layers only diet - no treats and plenty of access to oyster shell.
Hope it was just a one off! :)

ajkula77

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:59 »
chickens can be a bit blood thirsty, and will peck anything blood coloured - i threw a mouse out of the feed bin the other day which was, to my horror, gobbled up by a hen. So long as they look okay and have no obvious wounds, they're prob fine. just keep an eye on them.
If they are pecking eachother, spraying the affected area with purple spray (gentian violet) seems to put them off a bit.

pushrod

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 22:06 »
chickens can be a bit blood thirsty, and will peck anything blood coloured - i threw a mouse out of the feed bin the other day which was, to my horror, gobbled up by a hen.

was it alive or dead?
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 08:42 »
Thanks for all your replies.

I did wonder if a mouse had got in and checked the bedding very carefully but only blood. I think Foxy has it sussed and it was to do with the laying of an egg. I will, of course, continue to check them carefully.

xx
am sure there was blood in nest box

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 18:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
Blood on egg

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 19:57
by leddenton
xx
blood in egg

Started by gladis on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 19:43
by bantam novice
xx
Blood on egg help!!

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 11, 2011, 19:34
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 28 queries.