stopping a chicken laying

• 22 Replies

Sassy

Re: stopping a chicken laying
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 08:37 »
thank you for that.. so many questions..
the hen in question hadnt stopped laying because of the winter. She has previously (as have the others) laid through out winter every other day.  The tablet seems to have started her laying and the eggs are not normal...
because she hadnt laid for so long we checked to see if there was any internally.. there wasnt.
the thought was to stop her laying to make sure .. but
While i accept that there would be eggs in the system. I cant fathom why they arnt regular or why this tablet would start her laying again. .. given the idea was to prevent further eggs... confused !!!
In my head I cant help but think that if we had just left her she would have not laid anyway..
is this making sense

From reading your first post it looks as though you took her to the vets again after she had recovered following the anti-biotics. If this is the case then her egg laying had probably already started again, hence the 3 eggs in her system. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 10:11 »
out of curiosity you say the eggs are not normal - what is wrong with them?
Staffies are softer than you think.

billycasper

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 11:13 »
sassy.. you are correct in that she was recovering well after laying internally but the only reason we took her back was to make sure. I am not convinced she would have laid anyway. It would appear the tablet started the laying. (coincidence?)
Joy.. the first egg didnt have any shell, the second was brittle and had was disformed and the 3rd was a softie

joyfull

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 11:18 »
how old is she? and also what breed?

billycasper

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 11:22 »
she is a light sussex and is approx 2 yrs - 2 and a half yrs old

joyfull

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 11:32 »
if she is a pure bred light sussex then she could still lay for many years to come however with her history of internal laying you could ask your vet about the implants - they may have to contact the battery hen welfare trust about these.
If she is a hybrid that simply looks like a light sussex then she could be coming towards the end of her egg laying - egg laying hybrids are simply bred to lay practically every day for a couple of years and then after that they will have used up most of their egg supply and their muscles will be weaker which can cause problems with laying and also prolapses. The farmer doesn't care because they cant sell the odd shaped and wrinkled eggs and so they get rid of the birds at around 72 weeks.
I well remember the wrinkled eggs from when I was a kid - in those days shops and customers didn't mind if their eggs, fruit and veg were odd shapes and sizes because that's how they grew.

billycasper

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 13:18 »
I havnt got a problem with wrinkled eggs or no eggs. I just dont want her to suffer..

joyfull

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 15:23 »
I would call your vets and ask them if this egg laying will stop (personally I think her coming back into lay was just sheer coincidence) and also see if she can get one of those inplants  :)

xx
is she stopping others laying?

Started by jackie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 13:21
by jackie
xx
stopping from laying

Started by honeypot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 17:19
by honeypot
xx
reasons for stopping laying

Started by sminky on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 20:02
by sminky
xx
non laying chicken

Started by bowler on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 21:02
by grinling

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 29 queries.