stopping a chicken laying

• 22 Replies

billycasper

stopping a chicken laying
« on: April 03, 2013, 22:21 »
Hi, just looking for some advice or experience on a particular problem.
About 2 months ago one of my hens laid an egg internally and was put on antibiotics and seemed to recover well. We took her to a poultry vet last week who said she was fine but wanted to stop her laying for a while to fully recover. she gave us a tablet normally used for stopping bitches coming into season and we were asked to give a qtr of this tablet per day.. Given the hen in question hadnt laid for sometime we were surprised to see in the first 3 days of the treatment her lay 3 eggs, all either sofies, shell less  or brittle and mis-shapen..
we rang the vet who assured us this was the eggs in the hens system which needed to come out and would stop.. my question is .. is this normal? has anyone experienced such an issue? and should i stop the treatment?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: stopping a chicken laying
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 22:45 »
yes she will have needed to have got rid of those eggs first. Some vets will also give an implant to stop a hen laying (this is quite new and your vet may have to contact the bhwt for details of this) but this may mean she will never lay again.
Staffies are softer than you think.

billycasper

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 22:50 »
Thank you for the reply.. At least its ok.. i mistakenly assumed a hen just had one egg in the system.
it just seemed a little odd given she hadnt laid for so long.. why bother to force them out..

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 22:53 »
each hen is hatched with a ribbon of eggs, and when an egg is on it's way they cannot help but try to get them out.
My hens are now coming back into lay after easing up for the winter so guess your girl is too.

billycasper

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 23:12 »
mmm.  forgive me for being confused.. The hen in question hadnt laid for about 6 weeks, the others in the flock have laid regularly. why would this tablet help a hen who hadnt laid and was fine.. the forcing her to lay surely isnt helping given the dangers of another internal one. I dont understand why its brought on laying when she was fine without it..
The ribbon of eggs?   are  you saying that this will continue until they have all come out?

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 23:32 »
most hens go off lay or slow down over winter (usually when they are over two or if they are pure breeds then this can be younger), now that the days are getting longer they come back into lay.
The tablet that your vet has given you will act like the pill in humans - human females on the pill still have their eggs inside them but the pill stops them getting pregnant and the egg gets absorbed into the body and your hen will be the same. The eggs that she has laid will not have been able to be absorbed into her body because they will have the shells on them.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 23:47 »
Have a look at this website, I think it answers your question.

www.geauga4h.org/poultry/repro_tract_hen.htm
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 23:50 »
Thank you ANHBUC I tried to find a diagram but couldn't see one - I was going to have to scan one from one of my books tomorrow so you have saved me a job x  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 00:08 »
 ;)  You are most welcome.

billycasper

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 00:17 »
thank you for that.. so many questions..
the hen in question hadnt stopped laying because of the winter. She has previously (as have the others) laid through out winter every other day.  The tablet seems to have started her laying and the eggs are not normal...
because she hadnt laid for so long we checked to see if there was any internally.. there wasnt.
the thought was to stop her laying to make sure .. but
While i accept that there would be eggs in the system. I cant fathom why they arnt regular or why this tablet would start her laying again. .. given the idea was to prevent further eggs... confused !!!
In my head I cant help but think that if we had just left her she would have not laid anyway..
is this making sense

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 00:29 »
It is a case of which came first the chicken or the egg!!  You will never know if she would have laid the "faulty" eggs without you giving her the tablets. 

If her comb and wattles are large and bright red that is a good indicator that she was ready to lay again.  Not all hens stop laying over the winter, some only stop laying for a while and others for months.  They generally lay in their first winter but they are all individuals so there is no guaranteed pattern.

If you are really uncomfortable about the tablets you are best giving your vet a call and explain your concerns.  You can ask if it is safe to stop giving her the tablets.

billycasper

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 11:56 »
so how many eggs do you think will keep coming before she stops?? is was only supposed to be a ten day course...  I did ring the vet but i guess i was after reassurance that it was normal. .. thanks for your replies

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 14:50 »
The problem with most medicines prescribed for poultry is that it is for other animals.  There is not enough research done for them to be specifically for poultry.  I think it isn't viable for them as poultry are so cheap and replaceable in the farming industry.  It is down to a vets knowledge and experience over the years that we all rely on.  It is not an exact science which can be frustrating as we all do our best for our poultry.

billycasper

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 16:30 »
Thats a good point,
I hope in time that changes with demand.
 I do trust the vet, they are poultry vets who know what they are doing. it just seemed "wrong" and went against my initial instincts which bred doubt. .. i shall continue with the course.
thank you again

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 17:13 »
Sorry if it's already been said (I've not read all the replies). Feeding a wheat only diet can put hens off lay too.

xx
is she stopping others laying?

Started by jackie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 13:21
by jackie
xx
stopping from laying

Started by honeypot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 17:19
by honeypot
xx
reasons for stopping laying

Started by sminky on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 20:02
by sminky
xx
how to tell if a chicken is laying?

Started by eggranch on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 12:42
by Briony

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 38 queries.