What's the weather like where you are? 2022

• 1542 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: What's the weather like where you are? 2022
« Reply #270 on: February 18, 2022, 08:51 »
Well so far, touch wood, not too bad. Not as bad as Dudley. Or maybe I'm just sleeping better with wind noises!
Very heavy dark grey sky, damp but not raining at the moment, breezy rather than OMG! - temp around 5ºC
Greenhouses look good and nothing seems to have gone flying.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Lardman

« Reply #271 on: February 18, 2022, 08:57 »
Heavy rain overnight, feels very cold and plenty of unpleasant gusts of wind.  The odd branch down in the park but nothing major. We're forecast for a 25% increase on Wednesday's speeds, which may well make things very interesting.

Everything is in 'storm mode' so fingers crossed.

I've battened down the hatches and I'm just finishing a full backup of all the computer systems, in case the mains power decides to get a little frisky. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #272 on: February 18, 2022, 09:01 »
Feeling warm at 10C, but raining and already blowing a hoolie out there, wheelie bin collection was yesterday, but some people's bins are still out and blowing around at the end of the terrace. The fence on the left is getting the full force of it as there's no leaves on the trees to soften the wind force.
I just had quick dash outside to move the smaller pots into the lee of the hedge, so hopefully they can't blow onto the greenhouse glass, the bigger pots are sodden and too heavy for me to move, though  :ohmy:
I've also clamped and wired the greenhouse doors shut,  as they face the wind.
All I can do, now, is sit it out and hope for the best....

Good luck everyone and stay safe.   

(Wonder if they'll cancel my Tesco's order due for delivery at 3pm - that could be interesting  ::) )

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #273 on: February 18, 2022, 09:04 »

(Wonder if they'll cancel my Tesco's order due for delivery at 3pm - that could be interesting  ::) )

The Horror! The Horror!

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #274 on: February 18, 2022, 09:07 »
Not too bad in Lancashire at the moment. Very wet overnight but we are used to that. Wind meant to get worse later. My polytunnel survived Dudley (I checked on it yesterday) so hopefully will be okay!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #275 on: February 18, 2022, 09:19 »
Windy here in North Hampshire. A bit of rain too. All schools now closed in Hampshire Our Red Warning kicks in at 10.00 noticed a Sainsbury’s van just going past. Pretty calm so far, though one of our neighbours bins is over on its side. It’s bin collection day of course! Checked the plot yesterday will have to check again tomorrow after the wind subsides. Remembering the 1987 storm I won’t be opening my up and over garage door that cost me a new door!! Older & wiser now perhaps??  Stay safe!
Keep digging

snowdrops

« Reply #276 on: February 18, 2022, 11:27 »
Not too bad overnight here, lots more rain was heard but now the wind is ramping up. I’ve been to the chickens & made sure they have plenty of food & water & wont be going back this afternoon if it’s really bad. It’s forecast to hit here at noon, so I’ll stay in & nurse my cold that’s arrived ahead of the storm this morning until we are due to go & wish our grandson happy 1st Birthday this afternoon, but hubby can drive me there !  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #277 on: February 18, 2022, 12:01 »
Pretty quiet here at the moment, although we've had quite a lot of rain since midnight.

Not quite sure what this afternoon will bring - we seem to be on the cusp of potential snow warnings to the north, and gale warnings to the south...

Stay safe wherever you are.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

GraciesGran

« Reply #278 on: February 18, 2022, 12:14 »
After a pleasant start it's blowing like mad even though the sun is shining.  A day for staying in!

rowlandwells

« Reply #279 on: February 18, 2022, 12:47 »
very windy some rain cold but some bright sunny intervals maybe the calm before the storm  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #280 on: February 18, 2022, 13:22 »

The Horror! The Horror!
Of course it was cancelled, as I expected  :lol:

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #281 on: February 18, 2022, 13:37 »
Only one broken fence panel so far, not too bad for us. apparently a garden wall has been blown over in our village! A fence panel isn’t too much to deal with. Mind you I think I will leave it till next week when the winds have dropped.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #282 on: February 18, 2022, 15:13 »
It's just gone mad here. Looks like I'm going to lose both greenhouses  :mad: :mad:

Pane of glass 6ft x 2ft blown on the Vitavia as the side twisted in the wind. Even if I have a spare, can't do it in this. The door has blown off the Eden and the slider is done for so I can't do much with that until I can get spares.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2022, 16:08 »
It's just gone mad here. Looks like I'm going to lose both greenhouses  :mad: :mad:

Pane of glass 6ft x 2ft blown on the Vitavia as the side twisted in the wind. Even if I have a spare, can't do it in this. The door has blown off the Eden and the slider is done for so I can't do much with that until I can get spares.
Oh No!!!
My Vitavia is flexing, as the door end is facing the wind, so I expect mine to go unless the wind drops pdq  :(

wighty

« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2022, 16:24 »
Fortunately Paul decided to leave Freshwater at 11.30am as all routes out of Freshwater are now blocked by fallen trees or power lines.  He got through to Shanklin which is now shut.  Our house is down in a dip so hasn't been too bad.  One fence post began to wobble so we went out and managed to shore it up and it's now firm.

xx
What's for tea 2022?

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

1563 Replies
Last post December 31, 2022, 20:35
by snowdrops
xx
Wimbledon 2022

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2022, 17:24
by snowdrops
xx
Song linkups 2022

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

492 Replies
Last post December 31, 2022, 19:22
by mumofstig
xx
Fishing Season 2022

Started by Aled on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post October 11, 2022, 17:09
by Aled

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 46 queries.