Fruit tree grafting.

• 7 Replies

Bodger

Fruit tree grafting.
« on: February 01, 2008, 09:39 »
Just a snippit of gossip. Kaz and I have booked ourselves onto a one day course on fruit tree grafting.It's being run through the auspices of CALU and is absolutely free. :D  
CALU Centre for Alternative Land Useage.

It's going to be held on the 4th of March at a large garden centre called Seiont Nurserys,  near Caernarfon. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it.

The day will be split into two parts. The first will cover the theory behind fruit tree grafting and the second  will be a practical session. Sounds good to me.

When we have attended it, there will hopefully be a report to follow.

Contadino

• Experienced Member
Fruit tree grafting.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 09:56 »
Have a fab time.  Grafting is great.  There's a period of about 6 weeks after you've grafted when you can't help inspecting the tree every day (sometimes more often) just to see if it's taken.

new_2_veg

Fruit tree grafting.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 10:01 »
its a shame theres nothing like that round here, id love to do something like that.

at the min i could do with something productive to keep me sane lol
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

Bodger

Fruit tree grafting.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:21 »
I've only known about Calu for about a week. I'm fairly sure that if you delve deeply enough, there'll be their equivalent in your area.

I'm going on an orchard management course this coming Sunday with a different organisation. This one isn't free but it's only costing me twenty pounds.

Whilst looking on the web for information about my favourite subject of cider making I came across this site only this morning. I havent had time to go through it, but it appears to offer a wealth of interesting courses.
The courses on offer include Coracle making through to building with straw bales with lots of interesting stuff in between. Have a look and see what you think, there's almost bound to be something to suit your interests.  

http://www.assingtonmill.com/course.php?id=88

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
Fruit tree grafting.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 10:52 »
Sounds really interesting, I'd love to do something like that. Not sure if there is anything done my way :(

Trillium

Fruit tree grafting.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 15:32 »
Sounds really interesting, Bodger. Sure wish we had such courses here. Some universities offer such side courses - at staggering prices. Doesn't make much sense as I've yet to see someone wealthy enough to take the courses doing their own yardwork.

pepper

• Experienced Member
Fruit tree grafting.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 18:30 »
I'm going on a grafting course on the 1st March - courtesy of the Northern Fruit Group. £5 membership per year and all their courses are free. I will have to pay £1 for the rootstock of each tree I graft. Can't wait!
monica

SalJ1980

Fruit tree grafting.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 19:15 »
Bodger - just found this thread whilst searching for threads on grafting, which I'm keen to know more about. Care to enlighten me please?! WHat did the course entail?
Sal

Organic...so far!

xx
Fruit tree grafting / cuttings

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post December 25, 2015, 00:10
by Trikidiki
xx
Grafting an apple tree

Started by timdunn on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 01:16
by timdunn
xx
Grafting on a plum tree

Started by Bm1 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 12, 2023, 21:01
by Bm1
xx
grafting fruit trees? possible to do it now?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 17:56
by adri

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 38 queries.