What should I do with these seedlings - beetroot, lettuce and pea?

• 3 Replies

LaraJ

Newbie here, obviously.   I try looking at "What I did on the plot today" thread for what I ought to be up to, but its not always obvious if people are talking about sowing seeds indoors or outdoors or talking about putting transplants in the ground.

What I need to know is this:

The seeds that I sowed into loo roll insides on 18th March are now germinated.   The beetroot have two seed leaves each, the butterhead lettuce also and the Kelvedon peas are about 5 cm long.   They are all showing signs of fluffy mould on the outside bits of the loo rolls and are housed in the loft in the "fire exit" velux window.   I don't have a greenhouse.    I have prepared two small runs of wire framed cloches covered in hort fleece on the plot (so about 2 metres worth).   Can I get these out under those cloches yet, or do I need to wait a bit longer?

Also, what seeds should I ONLY sow into the ground  (parsnip? carrot?) and when can they go in - me in the north west.   And what other seeds should I be starting indoors and when indoors and then when should they go out?   I've been too enthusiastic in the past and ended up with seedlings started too early and gone all leggy, so I want to try and get it right seeing as I now have a plot to put everything in and not just a north facing back yard.

These are the seed packets I have:

Calabrese Monterey F1
Pumpkin for Halloween
Courgette Green bush
Parsnip Gladiator F1
Perpetual Spinach
Leek Kenton F1
Lettuce Cuore
Carrot Early Nantes - 2 and 5 
Cabbage red Drumhead
Rocket
Salad Mix

Should I sow some of these with gaps between?

Sorry about all the questions, but I know lots of people out there will be very happy to help, you lovely, lovely bunch!!!

Oh - rain here, which is good, is it not?!!

lara

JayG

• Global Moderator
Gosh!  ::)

So many questions about so many different types of veg it would take an hour to describe how to grow them all, and that would be followed by many different opinions as to what works and what doesn't! (Not everyone would go to the trouble of germinating peas in loo rolls, but there are some who swear by starting parsnips off that way, others who say it's a waste of time and not necessary.)

Can I suggest you explore the main part of the site rather than hoping you get lucky with the "What I did today" thread; there are lots of useful articles there to help you plan what to do and when!

Index here: http://www.allotment-garden.org/index.php

(Don't worry about the fluffy mould on the toilet roll tubes by the way; it doesn't seem to hurt the seedlings but don't push your luck too far by over-watering them!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
First off Lara, you are doing really well.  As long as what you have sown has plenty of light they won't go leggy. Prob not too warm in the loft either.

Let the beetroot develop its next set of leaves then pinch out the weakest in each loo roll. Let them grow on until you see the roots coming out the bottom. Then they'll be big enough to plant out.

Same for the lettuce if you sowed a couple of seeds per loo roll.

Same again for the peas, as long as roots are not coming right out the bottom,they are getting enough light and are not too warm then they are fine where they are. None of what you have sown will suffer if its still cold when you plant them out. (After hardening off first of course)

I start almost everything off indoors first.
I mostly start small seeded things(lettuce, rocket, spinach)off in small trays and when they have their first 2 true leaves i pick the best to pot into modules, easy to handle seeds (calebrese, cabbage,beetroot) put one seed per module. Big fat seeds (pumpkin, courgette) go straight into little pots.

So here is what i would do with your list:

Calabrese Monterey F1- start now indoors/undercover (not scared of cold)
Pumpkin for Halloween - wait until Mid April (dont like it cold)
Courgette Green bush- wait until Mid April (don't like it cold)
Parsnip Gladiator F1 - sow onto wet kitchen paper in a sealed container
Perpetual Spinach - start now indoors/undercover (not scared of cold)
Leek Kenton F1 - start now indoors/outdoors (not scared of cold)
Lettuce Cuore - start now indoors/outdoors (not scared of cold)
Carrot Early Nantes - 2 and 5  You could give a first sowing a try now outside in situ.
Cabbage red Drumhead - start now indoors/undercover (not scared of cold)
Rocket- start now indoors/undercover (not scared of cold)
Salad Mix- start now indoors/undercover (not scared of cold)

Generally what is not scared of the cold, should not be kept too warm when you start them off.

The pumpkin and Courgette would be frost tender therefore you are trying to time the planting out to happen around end May, so don't start to soon.

The only thing i would say to get a move on are the leeks, I find that you get your best leeks if you can get them in the ground May/June.

Of course its all dependant on how much space you have indoors.

You will get to learn all the ins and outs even though at the beginning it seems endless!
Hope that helps
Enjoy!
Liv.

LaraJ

Thank you for the advice.   I checked the peas today and the roots are indeed now out the bottom, as i cut the loo tubes in half.   So I guess I want to start putting them outdoors during the day to harden them off and then get them in the ground at the plot eventually.

I planted some potatoes yesterday - Lady Chrystal and Charlotte - in two fairly wonky rows as I couldn't quite make a straight trench drawing my hoe down the length of the plot!!!   I suppose they won't care that they are wonky!   We've had some rain again today.   Good for plants, but not for campers which is what we wil be next weekend!!

xx
lettuce and beetroot protection

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 01:01
by Paul Plots
xx
When are icerberg lettuce seedlings ready to plant?

Started by ineedhelp on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 13:36
by tweetpia
xx
Is it worth starting off lettuce seedlings in wee pots ?

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 21:24
by chrisnchris
xx
beetroot seedlings

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 18:59
by shed head

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 30 queries.