Bonfire ash

• 10 Replies

ex-cavator

Bonfire ash
« on: March 22, 2011, 18:52 »
Now before you shout at me, I have done a search on this, but I'm still a little unclear ....

The ash from the bonfire I had on the plot last week (nothing nasty, mainly rotten pallets / woody stuff & roots of perennial weeds) - what should I do with it? I gather its a source of potash & therefore good, but what's best to put it on? I've read not spuds, but maybe fruit - I've just put raspberry canes in, & am just about to plant bare root strawberries - is it OK on these, or shouldn't I apply it either at planting time or when they're fresh in the ground?

Otherwise, which beds are best to put in on - roots, brassicas, legumes? How much should I apply?

Sorry again for all the newbie Q's  :wub:

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
Re: Bonfire ash
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 21:28 »
I use ash from wood burners and woody bonfires sprinkled around the bases of my fruit trees and bushes and around the overwintering Garlic, Onions and Leeks.
I sprinkle a thin layer only, about a shovelfull over a square yard and hoe it in.
Wood ash can raise the ph so watch out for that.
I usually have plenty and find a thin layer on the compost heap goes well.
Be careful not to apply too thick a layer as it will go claggy and congeal as a solid mess.
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 22:28 »
I put mine on my asparagus bed

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 23:00 »
I put my wood bonfire ash round the raspberry canes and hoe it in.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:21 »
I just finished sprinkling some around all my fruit trees, currants and raspberries. Forgot about the asparagus so that's tomorrow's job. Mine is all woodburner ash from a few months ago. I'll probably add some to the veg beds as I've got loads left and need to shift it before the house grump starts complaining about it in the garage.  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:23 »
I hoard my open fire wood ash for plot use.  I sprinkle it in my potato trenches and around plants like courgettes to keep slugs off.

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:23 »
sorry to hijack the thread - would the same apply to BBQ charcoal ash?  Normally the leftover from the BBQ would go into the bin, but if a better use could be found by putting it near the fruit bushes....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:50 »
sorry to hijack the thread - would the same apply to BBQ charcoal ash?  Normally the leftover from the BBQ would go into the bin, but if a better use could be found by putting it near the fruit bushes....

I believe charcoal ash should be OK as it was originally tree wood anyway, but like all wood ash it is rather alkaline and should definitely not be used on ericaceous plants (e.g. blueberries.)

I think there is more doubt when it comes to briquette ash as it may contain residues from the organic compounds used to help it burn.

This is what an article in the Guardian had to say about it (some way down the page!) :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/apr/11/ethicalmoney.leohickmanonethicalliving

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 00:55 »
i have some pallet bits and weeds etc to burn... is the ash ok going into the compost heap ? Or should i just use it in other ways ?  ???

Gandan57

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 22:32 »
I wouldn`t put it on the compost, there`s nothing to be gained from doing that. Think of it as a slow release fertilizer and spread it thinly around established plants or work it into the ground where you are planting new crops.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Gandan57

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 22:43 »
Having just read up on it, ash contains calcium carbonate so can be used as a lime substitute. Therefore your brassica bed should take priority.

xx
BONFIRE

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 00:07
by oldbean
xx
Bonfire...

Started by N.WalesIdealist on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 22:16
by N.WalesIdealist
xx
Bonfire on veg bed

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 18:39
by Growster...
xx
bonfire ash

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 12:06
by WG.

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 36 queries.