Beetroot seedlings

• 12 Replies

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
Beetroot seedlings
« on: April 26, 2013, 15:27 »
i have some beetroot seedlings hardening off, can they go into the raised beds yet and how far apart should i space them??

Springlands

Re: Beetroot seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 15:45 »
Provided you have then thoroughly hardened off you could probably plant them out now - about two inches apart. Having said that check what your weather is going to be over the next week - at present we are having bad bouts of hail stones - anything I was to plant at present would  be cut to pieces.  :)

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 15:53 »
well its meant to get a bit chilly here during the night about 1c i think over the weekend so maybe i will wait til next week and give it a go then

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 16:10 »
I have always done beetroot direct, why does everyone start it off in pots.  :mellow:

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 16:21 »
Beetroot Queen - I plant direct but also start off some plants in modules. By sowing in modules you can get an earlier crop.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 16:28 »
I have always done beetroot direct, why does everyone start it off in pots.  :mellow:

I have never understood this either. They so grow easily direct sown.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 17:19 »
Beetroot Queen - I plant direct but also start off some plants in modules. By sowing in modules you can get an earlier crop.

That bit makes sense, but for some reason I thought beetroot didn't transplant well.

I do some very early beets in the poly tunnel, I love beetroot hence the name, it's the only thing I lived on as a kid. Beetroot sandwiches made by my nan, she's probably looking down laughing right now. Anyone for a buttie.  :blush:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 17:51 »
Beetroot sandwiches
:nowink: Had sooooo many of those as a kid - I really can't stomach them now

tellybill

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 18:15 »
I grow most of my beetroot seeds in module trays, 80 sections , in the green house . As some  beetroot seeds contain up to 4 seeds in some pods it is easier to split them up before  planting out.  When grown sturdy enough, about  2" tall, I make a small 2" deep furrow in the fine soil with  a hoe, water  well before planting out the individual plants about 4" apart. This ensures you know how many beets you expect to grow. Any left over seeds are then grown in the usual way  nearby , but will of course have to be thinned out. Rather  boring pastime.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 19:43 »
I really squeeze mine in and just pick the thinnings out once they reach baby beet size, they probably don't like being done like that but it doesn't stop them growing, we then have them roasted with a Sunday lunch yum yum yum

Beetroot sandwiches are just the best even now as a grown up. Beetroot chutney also a favourite and I ran out at Christmas. Hurry up crop.n

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 21:07 »
I do sow beetroot direct - but I have a clay soil that I am trying hard to improve with Manure / compost etc. I have only had my allotment two years and the first year I sowed direct I got such a hard clay cap that the Beetroot seedlings struggled -  I do some in modules and some in a small compost groove .. To be honest the module ones I plant out very small at first true leaf stage and I get really good results - I know it is fiddly but it a saves any thinning later. It works for me....

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 08:48 »
I normally do mine like DD does his peas - just a few more per foot.. Did shallow trench about 6" wide then scatter seed, cover and water.. go back in 2 months and pull some out for baking and leave the rest for bottling when I remember to dig them all out!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 11:05 »
Well the weather said it was meant to go down to 1c with chance of  a frost so i guess im bringing them back in tonight and transplant them tomorrow or monday!!

xx
Beetroot Seedlings

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 23:46
by sarajane
xx
beetroot seedlings

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 18:59
by shed head
xx
What should I do with these seedlings - beetroot, lettuce and pea?

Started by LaraJ on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 20:54
by LaraJ
xx
can you split beetroot seedlings?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 22:09
by meterman

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 30 queries.