Tomato question

• 9 Replies

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Tomato question
« on: July 16, 2015, 06:54 »
I have tomatoes outside, they have only just got the first small fruit on them. Is there any chance that some will ripen given reasonable weather? Is there anything I can do to encourage that, or is it just down to a longish season?

m1ckz

Re: Tomato question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 06:56 »
im sure they will ripen ok  early days yet i think

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 07:15 »
Even the tomatoes in the greenhouse don't start to ripen until this month, so outdoors they will always later.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 15:21 »
Thanks, I feel reassured!

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 20:20 »
Even the tomatoes in the greenhouse don't start to ripen until this month, so outdoors they will always later.

My greenhouse tomatoes haven't set fruit yet. Is there that much of difference between the South Coast and the North West ?

BB

Edit to clarify quote

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 20:39 by New shoot »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 09:10 »
My greenhouse tomatoes haven't set fruit yet. Is there that much of difference between the South Coast and the North West ?

So many variables - day length (longer in North in summer), strength of sunlight (weaker in North) local effects of GH siting, actual weather, when you planted yours, and how you are growing them.

My GH toms are all setting fruit nicely, but are far from ripe - as always the Red Alert in the open-topped cold frame will almost certainly be the first to be ready despite being the last to be planted out.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 15:39 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Headgardener22

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 14:48 »
This year seems late to me. I normally get the first ripe tomatoes in my GH about the 13th July but this year, whilst there are lots set and more setting, there's no sign of them. I still expect to get enough and I'm hoping that its a long summer. The latest I have picked ripe tomatoes from the GH is the 20th November.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 06:38 »
I thought at first, that this year was going to be a slower start for toms, but the recent warm weather here seems to be allowing them to get going faster.

I may even beat last year's date of July 19th, but I've not been out to see yet...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 07:19 »
As posted previously, my first one was on 12th July this year - 26th June last year. The odd thing was that is was from a variety sown in late March (Clear Pink Early), not the Shirleys sown in February. It was also from the plant in the unheated greenhouse, not the same variety in the heated one. (It's not heated now, I refer to earlier in the year!).

Since that one ripened, others have followed suit and I've self-sufficiency in tomatoes now, albeit a couple of weeks later than last year.

This is one of my outdoor Shirleys. It was the runt of the February sowings that was surplus to the greenhouse planting requirements, but it was kept in there in quite a large pot until it was warm enough to go outside. It's now has flowers on truss no. 7. The bottom two trusses are behind the lower leaves.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 07:37 »
I've got 2 ripening in my hanging basket experiment in the greenhouse, seed donated by Surbie, 100s & 1000s.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
a frosty question and a tomato question

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 18:29
by JayG
xx
tomato question

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2022, 17:24
by Subversive_plot
xx
Tomato Question

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 22:40
by goose
xx
Tomato question

Started by hindy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 23:23
by peterjf

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 30 queries.