What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #2655 on: November 27, 2011, 18:30 »
After a breezy wet night (bucket and some plastic plant pots went flying), morning has brought a warm pleasant day. So onto the allotment.

Lightly forked in the manure that was spread yesterday evening, taking out another flush of dock seedlings in the process.
Had a quick tidy up of old leaves around the overwinter cauli and winter cabbage.

Came home with several sprigs of rosemary for infusing some olive oil, 2 small red cabbage, 1 winter cabbage and a beetroot.
 :)

In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #2656 on: November 27, 2011, 18:41 »
My first week on my new plot and my first day nursing a hangover there!  ::)

It had rained heavily in the night, puddles everywhere on my journey so when I got to the site I realised today wasn't a day to continue with my massive dig project. I pottered about and tried to work out what is what and what changes I can make in the future.
Found lots of Rhubarb crowns (leaving everything this year and will split next year if too big) and also that the runner bean plants are laden with jewels!!  Alas not diamonds but purple and black magic beans. So we collect some to save for next years sowing.
Harvested:
Swiss Chard 'bright lights'
Leeks
Beetroot
Apples and pears (windfalls but perfect)
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #2657 on: November 27, 2011, 18:45 »
Not on the plot, but we went to the allotment AGM, didn't quite come to blows, but there were certainly some stirrers there! ::) :D :ohmy: :lol:

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #2658 on: November 27, 2011, 19:00 »
Finally got around to clearing out the green house  :tongue2: and glad i left it because i got an extra crop of late but gorgeous cherry toms!! Cut back the raspberries both autumn and summer (think i got all the right canes  :D. spread some old compost, spread some sand, picked up and composted the last of the apples.... Genrally tidied up and pottered about.... basked in a glorious blood red sunset which faded to a spectaular purple, i was quite sad to leave.
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2659 on: November 27, 2011, 21:49 »
Another beautiful day here on the South Coast.  We got down to the plot at approximately 11.30 and the wind had died down.  It was blue sky and sunshine here - quite warm in the sun so a fleece was all that was needed - no coats here!

We got the onions in at last, put in some chard and spinach plants we had started off in one bed and put in some broad bean plants in the legume bed.  Currently we have some cabbages maturing in this bed which will be out by Christmas ready for the new beans and peas to be sown in spring. 

We also covered out peach trees to protect the foliage and put grease bands on our fruit trees. 

I also picked raspberries again!  Cropped leeks, brussel sprouts and chard.

Hubby extended the herb bed and we moved a few herbs from the existing bed to give them more room.  We planted some small herb plants I had started from cuttings ready for next summer.

I fed the chinese gooseberry in the greenhouse which has 20+ fruits on it as it was looking a little hungry.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Paul Plots

« Reply #2660 on: November 28, 2011, 00:54 »
I spent part of the day hunting for paving slabs in the new garden, lifting them and moving them to make a new path through the lawns.

I planted several clumps of Lily of the Valley and one or two other things hoping they will survive the move.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2661 on: November 28, 2011, 08:44 »
Not been there much since my Dad took ill in September, so think I will be paying catchup next season as there are not enough daylight hours in my day spare at the moment  :( but my Dad is my priority
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Paul Plots

« Reply #2662 on: November 28, 2011, 09:51 »
Not been there much since my Dad took ill in September, so think I will be paying catchup next season as there are not enough daylight hours in my day spare at the moment  :( but my Dad is my priority

Good to see you have your priorities right.... not everyone does.

I sympathise... life can be a balancing act at times. I too have a plot that is missing me but it must wait for now.

jmc1949

« Reply #2663 on: November 28, 2011, 15:27 »

Sorry to hear your Dad's not well, but family come before allotments.

Today I spent a couple of hours putting the compost bin in it's new place in the garden. I moved it to a better site. so I don't have to look at it when I'm sitting out on the patio next summer (weather and time permitting). 

rowlandwells

« Reply #2664 on: November 28, 2011, 17:02 »
woke up to a very frosty morning and thought i must plough up my Lottie where ime going to set my spuds next year so the frost can do its job :)

so got the no cab  tractor started put a warm coat and wellies on went down the Lottie fixed up the plough away we go ::)

then disaster struck it jammed in gear and stopped o my god!! what do i do now stuck in the middle of the Lottie panic stations :ohmy: please god let me fix it took the oil cap off wriggled a bar in the gear box that released what ever was jammed thank god  :D

competed all the ploughing needed now  let nature do its work  returned  home tractor running OK and back in shed  :D :D :D

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2665 on: November 28, 2011, 18:07 »
woke up to a very frosty morning and thought i must plough up my Lottie where ime going to set my spuds next year so the frost can do its job :)

so got the no cab  tractor started put a warm coat and wellies on went down the Lottie fixed up the plough away we go ::)

then disaster struck it jammed in gear and stopped o my god!! what do i do now stuck in the middle of the Lottie panic stations :ohmy: please god let me fix it took the oil cap off wriggled a bar in the gear box that released what ever was jammed thank god  :D

competed all the ploughing needed now  let nature do its work  returned  home tractor running OK and back in shed  :D :D :D

Crikey how big is your plot? Surely a small holding more than a lottie?

grendel

« Reply #2666 on: November 28, 2011, 19:11 »
I too have not managed to get to the plot for the last few weekends, an illness in the family has meant I have been too busy, fortunately theres not much to be done as its quite wet at the plots.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #2667 on: November 29, 2011, 16:34 »
After a foul day of high winds and rain, there was a window of opportunity this afternoon to get up to the allotment. No damage done to mine or the other plots, phew!

Came away with a handful of leeks and some rosemary.

(7pm yesterday it was 8C, at 1am it was 10C, at 3pm only 6C, what a place we live in :mellow:)

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2668 on: November 30, 2011, 13:48 »
Landscaping  in progress :blink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2669 on: November 30, 2011, 17:08 »
Left work earlier enough for it still to be light so popped down to the plot to make sure it had withstood the winds... all OK thank goodness.

Brought some sage home for tomorrow's chicken and  areally big winter radish, which 'd knock yer socks of it's that hot.

Noticed a new pile of woodchip been delivered nearby - good, not so far to walk - so will have some at the weekend to top up the paths.

Also got some leaves so just two big binfuls needed to cover over the rhubarb, so will be pretty busy if the weather is dry  :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 29 queries.