What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Daz26

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #930 on: April 03, 2011, 21:50 »
Forked some more of my ground out. Still too windy to sew parsnips. Got disturbed by 2 thunderstorms. So much for the weathermen predicting light showers. 5hrs yesterday and 3.5hrs today. :wacko: :wacko:

LeeR

• Winner - Biggest Pumpkin, 2015
« Reply #931 on: April 03, 2011, 22:32 »
Fended off plot pest   >:(  He's there almost all the time and spends 10% of his time actually working on his plot and the remaining 90% wandering round offering terrible advice and his opinions on the politics of the day.  Why does there always have to be one?

Well it's better that they're on their own  ;)

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #932 on: April 03, 2011, 23:06 »
If only there was some kind of spray you could get to kill them off...  :lol:

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #933 on: April 03, 2011, 23:26 »
Planted the rest of the onions that we started off in modules, dug over another bed and started on another. Filled up the water but and watered the plot with our amazing hose pipe, it manages an amazing 5 litres  a minute -__-

Peas are ready to go in and ready to plant beat root aswell

Also discovery a asparagus bed besides the shed  :lol:

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #934 on: April 03, 2011, 23:32 »
Was a busy mothers day today seeing both sides of the family and a lovely roast dinner :)

Couldnt get to the plot saturday as had the last tonne of soil delivered for the back garden. All in all its had 10 tonnes (8 of sand and 2 topsoil) to fill the massive pond the last owners had! Has been a proper mission but its now got grass seed sowed so just need to keep my son off it for a while!

Got to the plot for a couple of hours today and managed to plant half the potatos! Am trying some growmore mixed in this year to see how i get on. The other half of potatos will be going in next weekend unless i can wrangle a day off in the week ;)
Also managed to sow a couple of peas, some salad leaves and some PSB. Gave the new peach tree and jostaberry bush some water and headed home :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #935 on: April 03, 2011, 23:45 »
Fended off plot pest   >:(  He's there almost all the time and spends 10% of his time actually working on his plot and the remaining 90% wandering round offering terrible advice and his opinions on the politics of the day.  Why does there always have to be one?

Well it's better that they're on their own  ;)

Ours was called Malcolm and he faded gradually then......vanished. Peaceful now.  ;)

An afteroon on the plot until darkness came.  It was wonderful  :happy:

Planted three rows of main crop potatoes, forty little beetroot (germinated in cells) and a short row of baby-leaf spinach (Bordeaux) also started off in cells at home.

“Fed” the raspberries and blackcurrants, zipped through with the soil-miller to discourage any weeds "thinking about" growing, cut the paths and took a few photos to show the folks at home.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #936 on: April 04, 2011, 07:21 »
Planted out my broad beans, potted up my lettuces, started work on a new potting bench after the other collapsed >:( Then had to go home because i had a migrain :(
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

elibump

« Reply #937 on: April 04, 2011, 09:12 »
Hope the migraine is better Jamie - it can feel as if you've been run-over by a steam roller the day after cant it?

Have a good day.

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #938 on: April 04, 2011, 09:38 »
planted up lots of flower bulbs, planted out some cabbage under cloches and spinache. First of the beans (runner, broad and dwarf) are showing in the greenhouse, will plant out in a couple of weeks. Sowed some tomato in the greenhouse. Getting to the point where everything is sprouting  and exciting :) Possibly my fav time of year  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

barneybpd

« Reply #939 on: April 04, 2011, 11:16 »
Planted loads more onions and garlic. Trans-planted my peas, beans and courgettes from my propagator to pots. Weather permitting, hope to plant main crop potatoes later this week but not Thursday as don't think the wife will appreciate this on our anniversary  :mad:

GaryPaula

« Reply #940 on: April 04, 2011, 11:22 »
Planted our first ever potatoes, a row of Pentland Javelin, so will be keeping our fingers crossed to make sure we have done it right. Put up guttering on our shed to help reduce the flooding. Dug over a row ready for more earlies and a row for Main crop. Weeded and watered. Made another raised bed, and sat down and a had a nice cuppa.

emptydraw

« Reply #941 on: April 04, 2011, 12:46 »
Planted our PJ, Charlotte & Desiree Spuds.
Manure mulched the Fruit trees/bushes & Rhubarb.
3/4 finished the pallet compost bin.
1/2 built a rasied bed for the asparagus + filled it with soil and 6 barrows of our finest.
Picked some Daffodils for the house (wife happy!)
Weeded the neglected onions. Hoed the rest of the dug plot.
Cleared bed 4 (of 5) ready for our root crops.
Got home and grafted 4 apple rootstocks.
Meanwhile back at the ranch: Mrs Draw had planted many seeds inc toms, chilli, sunflowers + various cut flowers too.
What a successful weekend, ow back to work for a rest.....

Dellie

« Reply #942 on: April 04, 2011, 14:20 »
Isn't it nice to see everyone so productive and happy in their work?  :)

My favourite time of the year - so full of anticipation.  Got loads of fruit bushes for Mother's day presents (quite nice having a big family  ;)), so spent yesterday clearing out an old briary patch and planting them in.  I now have 2 crab apple trees, 2 plum trees, an eating apple (not sure of type), and 2 pear trees as well as goosberries, blackcurrants, raspberries, blueberries, strawberrys and my rhubarb from last year.  Should be some serious jam making going on this year.

Garlic and onions still doing well and I have the beds ready for my parsnips, carrots, leeks, celery, beetroot and beans.  Still deciding if I have enough room for the peas, my lot can eat a couple lb each at a sitting!!

Tomatoes, chillis and peppers all doing well in the greenhouse and the spuds are in the barrels - I gave up planting them in the beds as I never seem to get them all out and then they grow through whatever I plant the next year.

I'm not bothering with cabbage or brussels this year - the slugs get them every other year, so I'm giving up  :tongue2:.

Dellie :)

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #943 on: April 04, 2011, 16:47 »
Hope the migraine is better Jamie - it can feel as if you've been run-over by a steam roller the day after cant it?

Have a good day.

Eli xx

Thanks, I feel better now, your right about how it feels, i just have to gosit in a dark room for a while or go to bed :(

Thanks Eli :)

sjjones

« Reply #944 on: April 04, 2011, 18:05 »
This is the first weekend I've been able to spend any time on my allotment, cos we got married two weeks ago - I never thought planning one day would take over my life like it did  :D
So, Saturday I sowed carrot, beetroot and tomato seeds indoors.
Sunday morning I spent getting the potato patch prepared for Picasso, Charlotte and Lady Crystal I've got chitting, weeding the garlic patch and starting to clear the patch for onions and shallots to go in.
I hope I can get enough done in time to grow everything I want to this year - it looks like a right state at the moment, but am hope GH will be of some assistance  :tongue2:

SarahJ
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:32 by sjjones »

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 14:01
by vikingraider
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 37 queries.