what to do with bulbs in pots

• 5 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
what to do with bulbs in pots
« on: April 26, 2010, 22:49 »
I've had lots of bulbs in containers this spring and they were lovely but now I want to get them out so that I can plant up for summer.   The answer is usually to move them to a spare part of the gafden until they die back but I haven't really got a suitable place and was wondering whether to put them in compost in an old plastic container (with holes) instead. 
I'm not sure how many I can cram in together though.

What do other people do? Has anyone got any advice? 

Trillium

Re: what to do with bulbs in pots
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 22:58 »
Container grown ones are set back longer than ground planted ones, and if you take them out of the containers, don't disturb the soil or they'll set back even further. I had to get creative and ended up planting potted bulbs in almost every corner of the yard, against the window well, under trees and shrubs, right up against raised flower beds, close to the stone wall, even a few spots in the lawn. They must like it because I have a lot of spring flowers in unusual places every year  :D

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 14:03 »
I have now found a vacant spot at the back of the back garden so I am going to dig a big hole and put the bulbs in with as much of the original compost as possible (thanks for that Trillium) backfill with more good soil mixed with some blood, fish and bone to pep them up for next spring, give it all a good watering and mark the spot with some canes or stones. 

Then when all the leaves have died back, say the back end of July, I was thinking of digging up the bulbs, drying them off and leaving them somewhere cool and dry ready for replanting in the autumn.  Does that sound okay?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 15:05 »
Can they not just stay and flower where they are? or do you want to put them back in the tubs again :unsure:

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 15:22 »
Then when all the leaves have died back, say the back end of July, I was thinking of digging up the bulbs, drying them off and leaving them somewhere cool and dry ready for replanting in the autumn.  Does that sound okay?

That sounds fine, but if they were forced it's iffy how well they'll do put back into containers even with fresh compost. If not forced, then you should be okay to repot for a few more years. I simply leave mine in the ground and start with fresh bulbs so I know I have a great show.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 17:30 »
I probably will put them back in tubs again.  They weren't forced, just regular bulbs.  I imagine the daffodils  and crocuses will flower again.  I find that tulips tend to vary.  I'll let you know how I get on.

xx
Bulbs in pots

Started by chickpeacurry on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 17:11
by New shoot
xx
Bulbs in pots

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 10:54
by londongardener
xx
bulbs in pots

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2018, 19:35
by Yorkie
xx
bulbs

Started by jenricks on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2020, 11:45
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 33 queries.