Allotment / garden / field or farm ??

• 33 Replies

muntjac

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 23:03 »
use a spring rake n press down hard as you rake it up leave it to dry a couple days it allows the beasties to get away then put in an onion sack in the dry and use when your doing ur baskets  :wink:
still alive /............

flowerpot

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2007, 23:43 »
I use the bottom part of a 180' garden, where I normally keep chickens but the foxes had them again- and have a lottie, with a little tool shed given to me by Gingerpot who's lottie is 3 along from mine. Anyone else know any members?

yewtreemob

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 07:22 »
I've just got the garden which is about an acre.  This used to be a small farm and the local butchers shop.  The front garden is 10m long and 15m wide, partly walled and south facing.  I am slowly (very slowly) reconstructing the original kitchen garden.  Back garden is originally orchard, now wooded and lawns and I am completing another larger vegetable garden behind the pub with 4 raised beds plus 16sq metre general growing area.

Also have a 20ft by 6ft greenhouse (not me - it was here when we moved in) and my own pyramid greenhouse and raised bed potager area.

Most soil is deep rich alluvial, some heavier soil at top of site.  main problem is falling rainfall (22" per annum down 50% over last 10 years acording to local records) whic mean that plot is getting drier and drier.  I have yet to explore if the well can be put back into service as part of an irrigation system that currenly runs off mains water.

tetley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 08:52 »
We are on a 3000 sq mtr plot, don't know what that is in terms of acres etc , my veg plot is in one corner of this.  And I have recently started a fruit garden.  The soil is very clay, and full of huge boulders  :twisted: apparently calcaire..
It was once a small farm, within a hamlet where the whole community were farmers.  I believe there were 5 families here 50 years ago.  Now there is only one working farm left, with all the others either being bought by people like us, or for holiday homes or being left empty.

xx
New garden/ field start

Started by neiwgardner on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 23, 2018, 11:39
by rowlandwells
xx
New allotment in a field

Started by KayA on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2021, 13:40
by Enfield Glen
smiley
New Allotment from a field

Started by Peter Rabbit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 18:41
by sunshineband
xx
Clearing a new allotment (was a farmer's field)

Started by 18TheParks on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 18:31
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 32 queries.