Allotment / garden / field or farm ??

• 33 Replies

fluffypebble

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 12:24 »
Small plot 24 feet by 50 feet and even smaller garden that the dogs have claimed.
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

WG.

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 12:29 »
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit"
why dont you set a poll up? its easy from the bottom section of the start new message thingy
Can't see the bit you are talking about Zak, sorry.  Can you be more specific in case it is just me not seeing it.

Correzienne

Allotment/garden field or farm
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 13:08 »
After having an allotment in North London for 10 years, plus a garden which overhaning trees and over active children made impractical for veg we bought a defunct garden centre in the Correze region of France possibly an act of total lunacy, but we love the life out here. Whether the business will survive the depredations of the French social security system is not as yet clear, but we do have the enviable problem of more land(10 acres!) than we know what to do with, so self-sufficiency is a definate possibility. Any tips on starting out with livestock, esp hens would be much appreciated

WG.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 13:18 »
Bonjour!

There are Poultry Pages on this forum so plenty of help.  We used to keep ducks for the fabulous eggs.   My main piece of advice is to keep the food in a steel bin to discourage rats - always a problem with poultry methinks

David

milkman

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 15:17 »
I have a small garden and two allotment plots each 5 rods.  Took on my plots 'cause I wanted to grow lots of healthy veg and fruit but the guinea pigs kept sabotaging my efforts by chewing through runner bean stalks, raspberry canes etc., it also meant I could easily up-scale production very cost-effectively.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 15:48 »
ooops! I think the Poll option might only be available in the Off Topic section. I took a look at the New Topic window in this section and it wasnt there, but when i went into 'Off Topic' and clicked 'New Topic', the add poll abox was at the bottom under the text window :D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

shaun

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 20:31 »
got 2 plots next to each other so its about the same as johns realy 300 square m,quite large but it soon gets full come summer.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

ziggywigs

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 20:31 »
I've a quarter of an acre on which i have my fruit and veggie patch, utility patch, ornamental patch and even a compound to keep all my hoardes of useful bits and pieces.

Run out of room now for the fruit/veggie growing and got my name down for a lottie.....looking forward to being able to expand.  

Would love to keep bees and plant an orchard so this may be something for the future as will need more land for that.

jane1264

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 21:12 »
Got quite a large garden mostly lawn and patio and small flower beds - house is rented and landlord has asked that we don't dig the lawn up (I did ask and he said NO!!!).  Having said that the house was empty for several years before we moved in 3 years ago so we have spent most of our time tidying up the garden so it is useable as a family garden and not a wilderness!
We' were lucky enough to ask for an allotment just as the town council had grabbed some of the old allotment land back from the farmer they gave it to 5 years ago (apparently they couldn't fill them then - now even after getting some back they have a waiting list!).  We therefore didn't have any of the hassles of having to take on an overgrown allotment - ours was nicely ploughed!  we have been digging it though just to break the very clay like soil up a bit more.  not sure how big it is, though we have took on what the allotment chairman calls "2 standard size allotments".  Because the town council deals with the paper work we are still waiting the town clerk to send us our agreement and the details of the allotment - including size and rules - just hope I'm not doing anything i shouldn't be!

Jane

noshed

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 21:31 »
I've got a windswept balcony and a medium plot 10 mins walk away. Paradise
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Annie

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 21:33 »
We use our garden which is a nice size,a small enclosed bit with lawn paths and flower beds round the sides and climbers up the walls,a good sized lawn and shrubs round and 2 applle trees,then veg patch-greenhouse, area with bricks around raised sqare bed with 4 triangular beds making this square,also 8x6by12" raised beds and other  beds to be made into hot beds for early squash by OH.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 22:35 »
Our house is in just a half acre plot, which was completely grass when we moved in just over 4 years ago, but now it has a 20ft container (was OH's workshop, but now a store for wood and his table saw and other bits, 3 sheds, 2 small ones mine, big one (20x10) his workshop.  veg patch, 21x24 polytunnel, 10x8 greenhouse and 8x6 greenhouse, and the old goat house and run now chicken house and run.  The rest is grass and moss, because I refuse to use the lawn mower when Oh is always saying I don't do it right, also the dog loves to dig up the moles and mice, so the ground is a bit bumpy now!!!  

Oh is in the middle of a patio build with the block paving we salvaged from the local Tesco, and the path will EVENTUALLY go all round the house, but he only does things when he's in the mood and the weather permits, so what he's done has taken him 4 years!!!

Annie

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 22:40 »
But how nice and greena lawn looks in a heatwave thanks to the moss....

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 22:49 »
That's true Annie!!!!!!  I was thinking of digging the moss up to line my hanging baskets!!!!

Charlie

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 22:53 »
I am lucky enough to have 2 plots side by side each about 20 by 100.
1 small shed at the mo'.
Larger one in the planning stage, and the o/h has just told me that 1 of her friends has a 6 by 8 surplus to requirements.    
Hope the council don't think i am building a housing estate

xx
New garden/ field start

Started by neiwgardner on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 23, 2018, 11:39
by rowlandwells
smiley
New Allotment from a field

Started by Peter Rabbit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 18:41
by sunshineband
xx
New allotment in a field

Started by KayA on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2021, 13:40
by Enfield Glen
xx
Clearing a new allotment (was a farmer's field)

Started by 18TheParks on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 18:31
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.687 seconds with 37 queries.