Plant/bulb selection ?

• 1 Replies

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
Plant/bulb selection ?
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:14 »
Morning everyone  :) Sorry for the long intro before our Question.  :D
We live in Rotherham in a council semi detached bungalow for health reasons & share a large front lawn with our neighbour & because she was unable to look after her side I used to cut it all but last year I told her I couldn't keep doing it as it was getting too much for me  ??? so she suggested a little fence so WE bought & put up a little picket type fence, only 12" tall but enough to do the job. I still cut our side & the council cut her side (once a month, leaving a mess  >:() but they keep banging into the fence & breaking it  :mad:  We have decided to remove the fence before it falls down & our idea is to take out a spades width of the grass & plant a row of small plants or & bulbs but we need something that's going to give a show throughout the whole year, ie evergreen & floral & not to big  ???. We don't want a solid hedge & not lavender as we already have plenty of that down the side of the front driveway. The lawn is on the south side of the bungalows so it is in full sun & open to all the elements.
Any suggestions other than Daff's, Tuips & Heathers will be gratefully accepted.   ;)
Keith/Sharon
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:16 by Sleepingpopman »

Goosegirl

Re: Plant/bulb selection ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 11:10 »
Firstly, I would contact the council and complain about them breaking your fence as that is not on! If you want to do without one and just have plants and bulbs, I guess they will need to be low-maintenance for your health's sake so maybe these will do. For evergreens, try variegated Euonymus - it comes in cream and green or yellow and green and are easily pruned to whatever height and width you want. Dwarf upright conifers - some change colour depending on the season - thinking of something like Juniper "Sky Rocket" or similar. Ordinary Box can be trimmed to whatever shape you want. Sarcococca is small and has little white perfumed flowers in winter/spring. Escallonias  have different coloured flowers, as do hardy fuschias though the latter will probably die back in winter but will re-grow the next year. When you have your framework in place, for permanent spring flowers try Hellebores and Epimediums, and some little purple-leaved violets underneath the main plants. As it's in full sun, some iris (bulbs, or the Bearded Iris from rhizomes) should do well. For summer flowers, try corms such as Begonias (if you can provide any shade for them, so much the better) and maybe Agapanthus in a big pot as they like to be crowded together. Some perennial grasses are also nice as a contrast. Hope this helps and see what others say as well.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Shrub Selection help

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 20:49
by chris23005
clip
Unknown bulb

Started by Yorkie on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post December 31, 2018, 18:51
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Bulb Planting

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2019, 09:12
by New shoot
xx
Gladioli bulb question

Started by chrisnchris on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 17:27
by chrisnchris

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 37 queries.