wedding cake / wedding favors / anything wedding really!

• 10 Replies

Elcie

My wedding is booked now for 27th May and I would like to make something for it, but I am not very good at making things!  I have recently started making pickles and chutneys using Val's book and they are great, but I have never made a fruit cake or a really nice cake.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have any ideas for something I could make for the wedding?  Cake / edible favors / anything!  I can't say money is no object, because it definitely is for us!  So if there are any frugal ideas that would be great!

Thanks everyone.

Debz

Re: wedding cake / wedding favors / anything wedding really!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 13:09 »
I got married two years ago and did all the stationery myself, flowers for myself and the 4 bridesmaids and buttonholes for the lads, and my own favours (although they were just puting a tag and bows on Easter Eggs as I got married on Easter Sunday). 

The best suggestion I can give is that you go online or to a craft show or wedding show and have a look at all the ideas.  Ask lots of questions and see what you like.  When it comes to yours, if you have a theme it can make life easier but keep it simple.  I got the instructions for my flowers on the internet because I wanted to have just tulips so I made posies.  You can get a plain iced cake from M&S and decorate it yourself.  Their cakes are so yummy and it is much cheaper that way or you could do lots of cupcakes.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 13:43 »
Its worth thinking hard this side of Christmas - because if your theme involves silver or gold or green or red  ..  there will be lots of ribbon and tissue and bits and pieces around in January for pennies instead of pounds, if you pick carefully plain colours (without snowmen etc) 

Where are you having your reception/party/wedding?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 19:28 »
Thanks for the tips.  Really good ideas.  The theme will likely be red or maroon as that matches the venue.  We are getting married at stadium:mk, which is where our local football team that we support play, in the attached hotel.  The ceremony is at 4pm, we will then have drinks and a stadium tour (sad I know but it suits us!) for photos then an evening reception.  We miss out the main meal because the ceremony is only available at 4pm, but will have a buffet in the evening, provided by the venue.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 17:31 »
Maroon or crimson, together with silver and white to lift it could look very classy without looking too .....  corporate or Christmas.  More flattering and kinder on some skins than scarlet too.   what matters is what suits you!   8)   

Buffets are easier than sit-downs too - no worries about places ... they have to mix a bit!   :D

Haychee

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 21:03 »
I got married last year and did as much myself as possible.   I made my own invitations, favours, cake, table decorations.  I even made a little mini me and a mini hubby to go on top of my cake - everyone commented, said it was fab!    My wedding dress was black and my 2 daughters wore ivory, so that became our colour scheme for everything else, with a little silver thrown in too, it looked stunning.  I'd never done anything like it before, I was a complete novice!!   We all had a brilliant day and it was dead cheap - home made is fantastic!!    Good Luck. xx

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 21:49 »
They look brill :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Junie

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 21:57 »
My parents grew some scabious, and various pinks and carnations and we make our own buttonholes for all the guests, it also took my mind off the night before!

I also make my own dress, 3 bridesmaid dresses and our female ushers outfit too.

I have had friends who have made their own invitations, a nice way to spend the long winter evenings!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 09:13 »
We did everything ourselves, but we kept it simple and only had 50 people. We made a two tier cake, invitations, used silk flowers for bouquet and cake so we could keep them. It wasn't just a case of keeping costs down, Mum was happy to pay for a wedding, we just thought, being a more mature couple and already living together, we had better things to spend money on and home made is wonderful, warts and all, very personal. Very special.

Did my brother's cake a couple of years later, he had a big affair, but his wife had never been married.

Elcie

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 18:12 »
Haychee I love your bride and groom, they look great.  Couldn't see myself being able to do that though! 

I have started looking around for ideas, saw some invitations today we like but might have a go at making some.  Will let you all know as we progress, all ideas still welcome!

uppsiedaisy57

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 21:59 »
Hi there, my nephew recently got married and they did everything themselves. They used the internet and saved a fortune. I think your colour scheme is brill. I have been making birtyhday and Christmas cakes, nothing to fancy, for a few years now and it is very fullfiling. This year i decided to learn how to do the decorating properly so i joined a sugharcraft course and it is brill. I won't say it's a cheap hobby but u can go on the internet and buy ready made sugar paste flowers and figures like in the photo and they aren't that expensive. You can also buy ready iced, plain white, fruit or sponge cakes from the supermarkets, and then decorate them yourself. Good luck, and i hope u have a wonderful wedding  day.             

PS i'll get my grandson to put a picture of my Christmas cake on when i've finished it

xx
tea cake

Started by Piccolo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 19:45
by Piccolo
xx
Christmas cake

Started by nickyveglover on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 11:55
by chrissie B
xx
cake decorating

Started by g1ggles on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 18:42
by g1ggles
xx
Heavy Cake

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 13:24
by MoreWhisky

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 28 queries.