any other sugar/wheat free vegans?

• 23 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: any other sugar/wheat free vegans?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 21:29 »
the vegan-ness is mainly because i'm not comfortable with eatin animal products.
and the wheat and sugar free-ness is purely health-related, it helps to keep me on an even keel with some health issues that i have goin on.
its had a brilliant effect on my life, though its definitely not for everyone!
I'm confused.  I don't mean to sound as if I am getting at you but to me some things don't add up.

You purport to be vegan but break the rules to suit yourself.  I would imagine that any true vegan would disown you.

You don't want to eat wheat and sugar for health reasons.  Why? 

Forgive me for asking but I am at a loss as to why someone would put themselves on such a restrictive diet without a clear ideology or urgent medical need.
Cheese makes everything better.

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 22:13 »
with the sugar free thing, is that all sugar or are you OK with honey, etc?

basically, honey, agave syrup and date syrup are all quite easy for my body to process.
maple syrup isn't though, or any kind of actual sugar, like, demerara or white sugar or jaggery for example.

there's some new sweetener come onto the market recently called Sweet Freedom which i've not tried yet, though that seems like it'd be ok, and i think its vegan too.

Hmmm - perhaps not my best thought out question!

eli

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 22:59 »
hi there ice :-)
you know,i DO have a very clear ideology and very good health reasons to be on 'a restrictive diet', i simply haven't gotten into that much in this thread really, have i, and its not even really very long yet!
and some of these things are not necessarily somethin i'm wholly comfortable talkin about with total strangers yet, i was here to swap tips recipes and general chit chat with others who eat similar food to me, really!!
and i don't mind a bit if vegan fascists or what you might consider to be Real Vegans would disown me. that kind of thing is of no interest to me.
and what doesn't Add Up to you?
do you feel there is some dishonesty goin on because i said its possible for my body to process honey easily, when i'm a vegan and we know vegans don't eat honey?
if you backtrack a little you'll see i didn't say i actually EAT honey, i just said my body was able to cope with eating it!
i'm interested in why you're so interested in pickin holes in what i'm talkin about?!
i'm very very new to these forums and you do seem like you're havin a bit of a go at me.
it doesn't feel very nice.

Junie

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 06:30 »
Eli, you must spend ages in the supermarket!!
I don't think I could live with your diet, but I am glad that your are feeling healthier through it.  My aunt has just a gluten free diet and does not now find that difficult, now she is familiar with what she has to be careful with.
When I was younger I developed an unknown allergy which would cause nettle rash (Urticaria ) all over my body and my face to swell so I looked like a caveman!  I found I was allergic to salicylic acid which is what Aspirin was made out of, but appears in so many foods and additives, most contains it.  For 10 years I dipped in an out of the allergy it is like my body builds it up and it comes out in times of slightly higher stress.  ( I thought I was going to have to wear a blanket instead of a veil at my wedding!)
It used to take 3 1/2 hours for a weekly shop!!
I have not had the Urticaria for nearly 10 years - or at least not to the extent to which I did, I try to restrict more the additives than the food and it appears to be working!

I do hope that you find the support and chat from somewhere, I suppose there is gluten free advice, and vegan groups, but perhaps the mix of vegan, wheat and sugar free is very difficult to find!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 08:49 »
I think the problem is that you mentioned you were vegan and vegans by definition do not eat/wear/use anythink that is or contains an animal product. When I was vegetarian I lost count the amount of people who still used to ask me if I wanted fish or chicken to eat as they didn't understand that true vegetarians do not eat these. Going out for meals was murder when it came to deserts as so many contain geletin which most waiters/waitresses were not aware of, the same goes for some mousses and ice creams.
If you take a peek at the recipe section you may find some recipes that are suitable for you and at the same time if you could pop some of yours in there that could help others, I look forward to seeing the scone recipe (if it's not your own please remember to acknowledge where you got it from)  :D.
Staffies are softer than you think.

eli

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 09:55 »
hiya junie :-)
it really is dead easy once you get used to it! and though it DOES sound like a great big hassle, its really not so much. like your aunt, its just matter of havin some new rules and gettin used to them, and i did it all bit by bit so it wasn't that hard. wheat free, then sugar free then vegan ages afterwards. a grdual process of reconditionin :-)
and this urticaria problem, i'm glad you appear to have that under control, sounds like a right nightmare.
are there lots of medicines that you can't take? and is it sometimes worth eatin/using risky things now and then, now that you're older?

and joyfull, it definitely DOES mean that i don't eat out often or stuff like that cos its a right pain and i usually just avoid it these days :-) i miss that now and again though, but it does save me money in the long run!
and i'll pop the scone recipe up in the recipe threads, and the place that it came from :-)

Junie

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 10:42 »
Eli,
I am glad to hear you did it gradually - still hard work though! Especially when ranges change and you have to start all over again, at least now in the UK anyway, Veggie/vegan/gluten  foods are marked, My mum and I got very used to trawling the ingredients list for all the problem items.
I do not take aspirin, or Ibuprofen, which is aspirin based, and always tell the doctor I have an aspirin allergy.  As far as food goes, I tend not to follow the strict diet anymore, but am wary as to the amounts.  Unfortunately it was never actually confirmed that this was the allergy as the only way to test was by starting eating nothing, and then the urticaria came up very irratically, but I had a huge attack one night after taking a couple of aspirin, and I did seem to be able to keep it under control with the diet.
I tend not to eat too much fruit other than red apples, pears and bananas which are safe, Citrus fruits are quite high, i love them but occasionally.  If I eat tomato soup or anything containing many tomatoes, then I am careful as to what I eat with it.
But touch wood, I have not had any major problem for nearly 10 years now, occasionally I will get the odd wheal come up, but that is few and far between.
I hope that you find that your body may get able to cope with a little of the problem foods once any high level is out of your body, life is certainly much easier now!

AS joyfull said, easting out as a veggie is difficult, I am not full veggie, I eat fish and cold blooded things, that is easier.  But eating out in France is very difficult as they love their beef and duck in this region.  Are there many vegan restaurants around?  WE have found a veggie restaurant in Montauban, our local town, and I get lots of ideas from there, they have 2 starters and main courses a day, depending what is fresh.

eli

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 11:25 »
well, i'm glad for you that this has improved as you've gotten older and that your life is easier for it!
i've had a similar experience with wheat, now i've been clear of it for quite a few years and'm quite a bit older and more resilient, i can tolerate small amounts of wheat without any great adverse effect.
like, every now and then i can have a good chip-dipping session with my partners wheaty curry sauce, and all that really happens is my sinuses get bunged up for the night! result!

i feel for you not bein able to have much citrus stuff, i'd miss my limes terribly if i couldn't eat them :-(

eli

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 11:44 »
and regardin eatin out places, i live in brighton which a great place for veggies/vegans/coeliacs/whatevers to live.
there're no vegan restaurant places though, but the veggie places cater well for allsorts of extra dietary concerns and can be real flexible for people and're godd with vegan stuff.
and there're loads of different places to eat out well :-)

there are some awesome vegan thai places in london, cheap and cheerful kind of places that do cheap buffets, but i don't know what any of them are called, i've only been taken there a couple of times.

xx
wheat free apple layer cake

Started by kezlou on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 09:35
by kezlou
xx
Sugar Free Jam

Started by Glosterboy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 08:30
by Glosterboy
xx
Sugar free cake

Started by maxyboo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 23:42
by sazhig
xx
Vegans and Veggies

Started by mrs bouquet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

24 Replies
Last post November 12, 2009, 00:06
by Caralou

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 37 queries.