I need 20 uses for cucumber

• 30 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
Re: I need 20 uses for cucumber
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 20:18 »
Did you get a dehydrator Bq as you can make chips coated in sweet or savoury. Not had chance yet doing courgettes at the mo.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 20:21 »
Did you get a dehydrator Bq as you can make chips coated in sweet or savoury. Not had chance yet doing courgettes at the mo.

I did and i am ashamed to say its already in the roof after one go. Not only did t take forever the beetroot and toms i tried were really disappointing  :mellow: what with harrisons birth i lost patience and sent it too roof 101 ........... Will it ever be seen again  :blush:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 21:00 »
Are the cucumbers peeled for those recipes New Shoot and Springlands, or not or just your own preference?

I don't peel them unless the skin is really tough, but I do the same as Springlands for very overgrown ones and take out the middle seedy bit  :)

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 21:09 »
Isn't cucumber soup just........... water????  ???

jokey333

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 21:13 »
lots of cucumber soup which i freeze:  soften an onion in butter, add chopped deseeded cucumber and a couple of chopped up spuds, cover with veg stock a bouquet garnet lots of ground pepper and simmer for 20 mins or so, remove bouquet garnet and whiz in blender - yummy

tzatiki dip: grate cucumber squeeze all the water out of it, add to natural yogurt, add garlic and you have a great dip

jo x

Ema

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 22:41 »
Wish I'd read this post before executing half my cucumber plants today, really had enough of them already and the winter squashes are growig a lot bigger than I expected.

barley

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 22:53 »
I've finely diced some today and put them in the freezer to add to winter soups - nothing to loose worth a try

compostqueen

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 23:11 »
Cucumber raita  :tongue2:

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 06:37 »
Duck- (pan fry) then chuck in some cue cut into matchsticks (I do them very chunky) fry for a bit then add hoi sin. 

We've also got a chinese supermarket close and get the aromatic ducks from the freezer for duck pancakes- they use cue too.  Well, they do in mine  :tongue2:

coop-de-tat

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 06:54 »
Wine?

CdT
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 07:02 »
Isn't cucumber soup just........... water????  ???

Have a look at the recipes posted.

Are the cucumbers peeled for those recipes New Shoot and Springlands, or not or just your own preference?

I do not peel mine - nor did my cousin.

I don't peel them unless the skin is really tough, but I do the same as Springlands for very overgrown ones and take out the middle seedy bit  :)

Thanks both. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Springlands

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 08:49 »
You are welcome - guess what I am making more of today.  ;)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 11:57 »
When I made a batch of pickle a couple of weeks ago, this is the cold pickle recipe I followed roughly - so quick and easy:

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/xr7x51l2/cold-cucumber-pickles.html

I didn't have enough onion for the quantity of cucumber I had to process at the time, so used garlic in some jars and garlic and chilli in some. We sampled these yesterday and all variations are really tasty. I will definitely make more of this. :)

Yesterday, in addition to another batch of soup for the freezer, I made a batch of Springlands' recipe, although I made a couple of adjustments with the addition of some garam masala and some chilli to the spices in the vinegar. Initial samples of a leftover quantity, in a glass container covered with cling, are very favourable. OH likened the flavour to piccalilli and when I tasted it I didn't feel that but knew what he meant. It's very moreish. :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 20:18 »
Use them as some of the veg in piccalilli.

Cook them in stir fries or with Chinese pancakes and crispy duck.

Mix with spring onions, lime juice and fish sauce as an accompaniment to Thai food.

snowdrops

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 16:52 »
This is my favourite recipe for cucumber pickle - I have made quite a few jars so far this year and more to make. I will just copy and paste it as I typed it in the HLC area of the site.

This is the recipe for the Bread and Butter Pickle which I got from my cousin when I used to visit her in America. I think that it is one of those recipes that different people make in different ways.

Bread and butter pickle

3 large cucumbers.
3 tblsps salt.
4 onions - sliced.
1 pint white vinegar (some times I used a pickling vinegar for extra flavour).
6 ozs sugar.
1 tsp tumeric.
2 tsp mustard seed.

Place the sliced cucumbers, sliced onions and salt in a bowl and leave for about an hour. Rinse well. Gently heat the vinegar, sugar, turmeric and mustard seed until the sugar melts. Place the cucumber and onions in to sterilized jars, cover with the hot vinegar mixture and seal.

You can eat this almost straight away - but it tastes better if you keep it a couple of weeks. I always find it best to eat within about 2/3 months (and that was the advice given to me by my cousin) but I have seen comments on USA websites that if you water bath the jars it will last longer. Anyway in this house it gets eaten very quickly. Hope you enjoy it.

I made a batch before I went away & then helped my sister make a batch when I got there,when we came back from our short break of 3 days we tried it & loved it. So thank you very much Springy. I haven't tried any of the others as yet but will print them out for another year as the plants are slowing down now.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
cucumber pickle

Started by splodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 15, 2007, 11:15
by gobs
xx
Cucumber Chutney ????

Started by devon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2014, 00:14
by Mrs Bee
xx
Cucumber Relish

Started by cheshirecheese on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 14:12
by cheshirecheese
xx
Dried cucumber?

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 12:53
by New shoot

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 29 queries.