Indian Runner Duckling Struggling please help

• 12 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
Indian Runner Duckling Struggling please help
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:16 »
I have kept chickens for a few years and wanted to add a few runner ducks into the mix but couldnt get any anywhere (northern Ireland).  I was at my local market yesterday and there were some runner ducklings in a cage at the petshop.  Eagerness got the better of me and I bought 2  :(  I  dont believe in market selling animals so I am annoyed at me breaking my ethics.

I put them in the chicken run and within a couple of hours one of them had died from what I think was stress.  They are quite young as they are still fluffy.

I have segregated the other duck to an old rabbit hutch and long run I had laying around but it is very stressed and shakey.   it is running up and down crying and seems to want to be touched.  I think it would have jumped into my dressing gown and snuggled down if I'd let it.

I'm assuming the ducks have been sold too young.  What should I do for the poor thing....It had a bit of bread soaked in water this morning and thats the first thing its had.  Everytime a chicken clucks or a crow crows, the poor thing gets frantic.   I was wondering if I should bring it in the house but with 2 noisy young boys, 2 cats and 2 dogs I think that could stress it more. 

I cant get any companion ducks untill next sunday when the market is back on, the only place I know to get ducks in the tannaghmore anual bird fair in august and the poor thing cant be lonely till then.
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

carolbriar

Re: Indian Runner Duckling Struggling please help
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 10:20 »
Hi Pookey, sorry to hear about your duckling.  You could try the guy I mentioned in Beragh.  He had Indian Runner ducks when I was there last year - he might have some young ones.  I will pm you his number in case you want to try him.
Carolbriar
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 10:27 »
thanks carol, last time I called him he didnt have any but hopefully some may have hatched.  I kept the number ending 164 so I'll give him a call.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 12:06 »
is it old enough to be off heat?
Staffies are softer than you think.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 13:42 »
im not sure how old she is, heres a pic

P1090792.JPG

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 14:02 »
Im no expert but it doesnt look to me like he has any feathers yet? I'd be tempted to bring him in doors under a heat lamp for a few more days, maybe letting him back out for a few hours through the day when its nice and warm. Hope he improves soon

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 14:13 »
Im no expert but it doesnt look to me like he has any feathers yet? I'd be tempted to bring him in doors under a heat lamp for a few more days, maybe letting him back out for a few hours through the day when its nice and warm. Hope he improves soon

It doesnt have any feathers.  I was told it is a girl, is it a boy then?

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 14:23 »
Sorry, I refer to everything as 'he' force of habit, Sorry. If you have been told its a girl, Chances are it is  :) Either way, she's lovely  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 15:48 »
think you will find out more when he or she quacks and boys also have the tail curl don't they?

carolbriar

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 17:44 »
How is your little duckling and have you managed to settle her/him?  She looks lovely.  A friend of mine bought 3 indian runner ducks at last weekends poultry fair at the Argory. 

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 21:31 »
How is your little duckling and have you managed to settle her/him?  She looks lovely.  A friend of mine bought 3 indian runner ducks at last weekends poultry fair at the Argory. 

Its a shame I missed the argory show, still the chelsea flower show was brilliant!!!  The duck seems to be doing better and has perked up a bit.  I put a teddy penguin in with her and shes snuggled up to it and has stopped shaking, still a bit confused and jumpy though.

I spoke to Aiden on the number you gave me and he said his runners arent ready yet, I emailed him a pic and he said my duckling was too young to be sold but he has a couple the same size that i could buy.  So if nothing gets better I can go and get it some company.  I put one of my broody chickens in with it and the duckling ran and pecked it so I got my very large white sussex out before she pecked her back!  Not sure if it would attack other ducks.  Its confusing to know whats best.

carolbriar

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 21:33 »
At least you know you can fall back on Aiden and get another duck from him if your little one doesn't settle.  Keep us informed :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 18:35 »
She looks to be 3-4 weeks old but hard to tell without anything to compare to and might just be a bit cold.  She will be very stressed by herself so companionship is really important.

I would be very worried about the one that just up and died. Ducklings are generally very hardy little things and I have never had one die of shock or heard of it happening to anyone I know. I have transported ducklings of a week and less old for over an hour, had them chased by predators (and overentheusiastic children) and none have died. I think you should speak to the breeder and consider carefully before having anymore form them.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
indian runner ducks

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 21:51
by Foxy
xx
Indian Runner ducks

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 13:15
by Lewjam
xx
indian runner ducks

Started by maggiemay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 10, 2015, 04:06
by tosca100
xx
indian runner ducks

Started by maggiemay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 16, 2015, 13:47
by tosca100

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 29 queries.