Mares Tail

• 2 Replies

fred-quimby

Mares Tail
« on: July 23, 2012, 13:40 »
Before anyone says "oh not again".  I do know it is almost impossible to get rid of if you get it.  My query is - If you have a lot of it on the plot, like I do, is it possible to carry the spore home with you to your garden?  On spades, forks, boots etc..?  Thanks
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

Goosegirl

Re: Mares Tail
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 15:19 »
This I can only guess at. You need to let the plant develop to form a spore head - good idea not to!! If there are some you cannot get to, then the wind may spread the spores, but not sure how far. I have two types ( :ohmy: :ohmy:) - one is in my veg garden at the back of our cottage where we have a dyke running on one side of it and it loves the water and grows about 3' easily, and has nasty brown spore heads in spring. I should have taken a pic of it in the field but I wasn't fast enough as the sheep eat it! The other is the usual menace in the garden which I pull out when I see it so it doesn't form spores. As we have it on the opposite side of the lane, it hasn't travelled too far via spores, so if do you see a small piece in your garden, whip it out before it gets established.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

BabbyAnn

Re: Mares Tail
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 15:54 »
it's possible it could have been in your lawn but when you mow regularly, it kept it under control.  The danger is when you open up a bed to grow other plants and then it starts to spring up everywhere.  That has been the case in my garden  :( 

xx
mares tail'horse tail

Started by flutemaster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 20:54
by gobs
xx
Mares tail

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 06:59
by DD.
xx
Mares tail

Started by ynysmonron on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 08:27
by blackisgreen
xx
mares tail

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

89 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 09:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 31 queries.