Cucumbers

• 5 Replies

spottymint

Cucumbers
« on: January 11, 2010, 14:01 »
Hi

I am wondering if any of you greatly experienced veg growers can help me with some advice on cucumbers.

I have no greenhouse and the conservatory is out (O/H  :(   ) Can Marketmore ridge cues be grown in pots ? Do they need a lot of space ?  Anyone heard of a variety called "spacesaver"?

What about Gerkins ? Can they grow in pots ? Can they be eaten like cuecumbers, fresh ? Do they need lots of space ?

I have never grown cucumbers before, space is tight, no allotment or groundspace available. No South facing aspect, more S/W.

What would you grow in my position ?

Any help would be really great, many thanks in advance, Spottymint.  :)

MoreWhisky

Re: Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 14:15 »
I grew my cucs in a raised bed, then i put small poles in the ground and tied the trailing bit up along these. The cucs hung down lovely. This also kept everything of the ground.

Looked kinda like a washing line )
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

stompy

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 14:25 »
I grew marketmore last year.
Get a pot about 8-10inch across fill with general purpose compost and plant 2 seeds direct.
Then push 2 canes about 4ft long into the compost and water the seeds in well, don't water again untill they germinate or the seeds may rot.
Once they begin to grow just tie them into the canes.
I did mine in the greenhouse and tied 2 stems from each plant onto one cane, i removed all other side shoots and got about 5 cucumbers of each plant, i also gave them a comfrey feed every 2 weeks.

Hope this helps spottymint

madcat

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 16:12 »
I've grown them in pots too - the intention was to grow them like stompy but I was a bit less disciplined and they gave me a good crop.  Go for it!   :)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 17:09 »
I successfully grew cucumbers last year in pots in the greenhouse.  I used the black plastic flower buckets that I got free from a supermarket.  Even better!

spottymint

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 14:10 »
Hi

Many thanks for the advice everyone.  :)

I have ordered 3 types, 1 a French heritage gerkhin, Marketmore & spacesaver and give them a go.

Thanks again. :)

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
Cucumbers

Started by MyAchingBack on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 16, 2013, 19:16
by gazza975526570
xx
cucumbers

Started by radiohead on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 13:40
by shokkyy
xx
No Cucumbers!

Started by borderowl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 00:19
by gobs

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 38 queries.