Talulah is a boy! -updated

• 11 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Talulah is a boy! -updated
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:49 »
Grrr this post disappeared yesterday because the picture was too big and then when I tried to put a smaller pic in was told I had already posted. Lost the lot now so the outpouring of "whooaaaaa" yesterday is lost in the ether.

Anyway..........

Our black cochin Talulah made me jump crowing in my ear yesterday. She did it again about 5 minutes later and my neighbour informed me that the dratted bird had been up to it the day before though they'd put it down to the radio show they'd been watching as of course no-one locally has a cockerel, ho ho ho.

I've been watching Talulah suspiciously these last few weeks as she seems to have put a growth spurt on and her wattles were getting a lot bigger so I'm assuming she is a bloke (please give opinion from photo) and not just a hormonally confused lady. You will immediately spot that she's not black either which has been a relatively recent development, she was when we bought her.

The breeder originally said she would replace the bird if she turned out to be a bloke but that was four months ago and I wouldn't want a replacement now even if I could get one as introducing a little bird amongst my hens would be carnage. If we decide we can't keep him/her do you think the breeder should give me my money back?

Cheers

Talulah male (576 x 768) (525 x 700).jpg
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:38 by Ben_H »

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Re: Talulah is a boy!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:51 »
If we do keep "Him" am considering changing his name to Minchin after the "Ginger Goth" comedian.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:19 »
He's very handsome  :)

I don't know at this stage whether you would be able to get your money back from the breeder.  I have a feeling that about the best offer from the breeder would be an offer of a swap. 

Good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 09:21 »
looks like a handsome boy to me.
Staffies are softer than you think.

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 18:38 »
A very handsome specimen I must say. I really hope that you will be able to keep him. Time to do a bit of neighbour bonding with some eggs I'd say!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 18:56 »
If we do keep "Him" am considering changing his name to Minchin after the "Ginger Goth" comedian.

:lol: :lol: "Only a ginger can call another ginger, ginger"!

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 21:30 »
What a handsome lad.   ;)
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Re: Talulah is a boy! -updated
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 07:42 »
Well there is no doubt about it. Friday morning he crowed 4 times within about two minutes of being let out and then jumped one of the pekins.

Unfortunately I have contacted the breeder and been told:

"Unfortunately i don’t offer to swap birds, i am sure you can appreciate that once they have left here we have no way of knowing if they are our birds or ones from somewhere else, this is why birds which are younger and therefore not certain to be girls are cheaper,  and i would have warned you of this at the time.

I usually offer a discount off something else if this happens, i do have a  blue cochin hen, that is about a year old so i know its definitely a girl, and if you want to bring him back here for us to try and rehome i can do one for £20 instead of £30."

This is doubliy annoying as she specifically offered a swap when we bought the bird and asked whether it was definitely a girl and compounds the feeling that she took advantage of us as we're positive she sold us birds that were a lot younger than she claimed. Oh well, won't be going to her again.

We now need to see how noisy he gets. Neighbours are ok so far but we'll see whether that goo will fades.

Ben

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 10:06 »
Oh what a shame, Ben!  That really is annoying.  >:(

YoungChickenLover

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 21:50 »
What a stunning chook!!! Definitely a cockerel. Love the colours on him ::)
Weasel and The Chooks

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 11:05 »
Yes, he's a beauty but is going to have to go. Attacked my wife at the weekend when she went in to feed them and cut her hand with his beak. Once the weather improves the kids will want to be in the run and I can't risk any further incidents.

I'm going to be putting him on the rehoming thread very soon but have just discovered that he has what I think is scaly leg mite so need to get that sorted first. It's been hidden by his feathery feet but I noticed it the other day when I had to evict him from the coop so I could clean it out.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 17:23 »
if you advertise him on the swap shop please also put that he is aggressive as it would be unfair to pass him on to somebody who is not expecting that.
Really aggressive birds should be culled.

xx
Brahma chick pics (updated with new photos pg 2)

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

18 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 19:10
by wildwitchy

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 29 queries.