concerned about chooks welfare if they get some birds!

• 25 Replies

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: concerned about chooks welfare if they get some birds!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 12:45 »
Im not sure what the minium standards are by law, i suspect they are significanlty less then most people on here would accept.

Not condoning by any stretch, but the RSPCA can only act if they are in breach of animal welfare standards.  Im sure others are much more fluent in what exactly they are, but i know commercially grown battery chickens are given no sunlight and only a tiny amount of space.

I hate signatures but love irony

SMS6

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 13:23 »
Believe you me I have tried to explain about husbandry and conditions to maximise egg production but some folks just don't want to listen! This weekend the inside of the henhouse has been liberally painted with creosote. mmmm lovely smelly conditions for the chickens to live in 24/7! The birds wont be there long, I will get the RSPCA involved as they are obviously intent on going through with this stupid scheme. I have given them every oportunity to research, given web sites, breeders who offer free courses. I now know where they intend to purchase their birds, a local garden centre. I have no idea if this garden centre has a checks policy in place on purchasers of birds. They intend to purchase 12 birds to keep in a shed 4' x 6' with no daylight, run space. The birds will cost them a total of £90.

freebirdy - have you actually told them that what they are planning to do is cruel to the chickens and not something you will stand back and see happen? 

Giving them helpful tips and advice isn't working so maybe you need to just tell them  that you won't let it happen!

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 12:39 »
That's truly awful!! I'm assuming they've seen the set-up you have and still insist on going through with this?

As another poster said, the RSPCA may not be able to do anything about it - but surely someone can do something.

Keep us posted... really interested to hear what happens.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 19:47 »
Believe you me I have tried to explain about husbandry and conditions to maximise egg production but some folks just don't want to listen! This weekend the inside of the henhouse has been liberally painted with creosote. mmmm lovely smelly conditions for the chickens to live in 24/7! The birds wont be there long, I will get the RSPCA involved as they are obviously intent on going through with this stupid scheme. I have given them every oportunity to research, given web sites, breeders who offer free courses. I now know where they intend to purchase their birds, a local garden centre. I have no idea if this garden centre has a checks policy in place on purchasers of birds. They intend to purchase 12 birds to keep in a shed 4' x 6' with no daylight, run space. The birds will cost them a total of £90.

It is illegal for them to use creosote unless they are professionals or industrial users.  Here is some information on the change in the law 2003.  www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm

Here is an extract from the Penalties of ignoring the ban.  "The approval for supply, storage and use of amateur products was revoked as of 30 June 2003. As such, anyone supplying, storing or using amateur products date may be liable for prosecution. Prosecutions may be brought under the Food and Environment Protection Act 1985."

Hope this is of some help to you if the RSPCA can't do anything then the Environmental Health Department should.  Good luck and keep us up to date.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 20:03 »
Freebirdy seems to have deleted their account. :unsure:
Cheese makes everything better.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 10:31 »
God, I hope it's just some other wood preserver that looks/smells like creosote.
That's carcinogenic.

Environmental health should definitely look into that.

Skywise

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 14:32 »
I'd just tell them straight that the instant I saw/heard a chicken in that shed I'd be on the phone to the RSPCA.  That way you're leaving them in no doubt that what they're proposing to do is wrong and that they could well end up in Court if they persist in this outright cruelty.

If you tell them what you intend to do then they can have absolutely no illusions that what they are doing is acceptable and it won't come as a shock when the RSPCA Inspector is knocking on their door.

I know that they're family but I still wouldn't hesitate if a member of my family was acting so appallingly.  Maybe it'll be the wake up call they need.

I've only had my chickens for a week now but I've spent the best part of the last year reading every book on chickens I can find, asking questions and generally working out what was best for the hens.  Yes, of course I'm looking forward to some eggs from them but that's a bonus, not the reason I'm keeping them!

Sorry for the rant but cruelty just makes my blood boil.

freebirdy

• I'd rather be insane than boring!
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 10:39 »
I'm Back! Not only was this account deleted everything I had on my laptop was - hacker gremlins - gggrrrr!!! Update, they havn't seen my set up, they have been invited around numerous times and I have offered to show them how to handle and health check birds but all to no avail and yes I have most definately told them it is cruel to even contemplate keeping birds in the conditiins they have set up. The last contact I had was via text asking where I purchased my birds from so I am going to tip off the breeder so if they show up there she can refuse to allow them to purchase from her! I am going to see her next weekend for one of their poultry husbandry one day courses (always free courses and I have even asked the prospective keepers to come along - no, didn't want to!) As for commercial/battery hens, yes I know they are kept indoors 24/7 without daylight, however at least they have artificial lighting!! That's what keeps them laying!! The poor birds to be confined in the creosote soak shed will not even have that!!!! They have blocked off the window area to make the "chicken house" secure so the birds wont get any access to light at all! No eggs then....! I'm pretty sure the RSPCA would be interested if the birds are being kept in bad conditions, surely it would class as neglect and cruelty to keep 12 hens locked in a dark shed every day, not let out and fed on kitchen/household scraps??
1 fiance, 3 kids, 1 fish, 1 cat, 9 poland bantams, 6 Barbu de Watermael, 2 allotment plots and not enough time!

nic n dave

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 14:59 »
absolulty disgusted, my hens are housed in a converted shed but they go in and out whenever they feel like it, mine are completely free range and they must be happy as im still getting eggs from all of them even in these dark days,  suggest the day they get them phone the rspca

YoungChickenLover

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 10:22 »
My girls are housed in a converted Wendy house, but free range in the day. What ar the dimensions of the shed?? Do they plan to let the Chooks run round the garden at any time. Call the RSPCA the moment the chickens are in the shed.
Best of luck
Weasel and The Chooks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 19:36 »
It's 4 months since this was all occurring so I suspect it's sorted out now.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
table birds

Started by dannyboy2010 on Chicken Chat

27 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 23:43
by ANHBUC
xx
What happened to my birds :D

Started by Thingy on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post October 30, 2010, 07:35
by Thingy
xx
Stupid birds!

Started by Ben_H on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 15:13
by Elcie
xx
young Birds

Started by pepsi100 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 11:03
by kegs

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 36 queries.